A BlackBerry device is able to synchronize your Inbox, email folders, Contacts, calendars, notes, and tasks.
Using a BU-owned BlackBerry
If you are using a BU-owned BlackBerry (which would have been provisioned through your department) IS&T will order and set up your device for you.
Configuring your own BlackBerry
Option A: With IMAP (email only)
You can receive your BU Exchange email via IMAP using the two settings provided below. However, please note that IMAP use does not provide “full Exchange” access (integration with Exchange Calendar and Contacts). If you would like to optimize your use of Exchange, as described in Option B, you should first contact your phone service provider to make sure you are on the BES data plan. Once the BES data plan is set up, follow the Option B configuration instructions below.
- The incoming IMAP mail server is xmail.bu.edu with SSL (port 993).
- The SMTP server is smtp.bu.edu with SSL (port 465).
Option B: With the BU Exchange Server
If you have your own BlackBerry device and wish to use it with your BU Exchange account, please contact your phone service provider to make sure you have the BES data plan. Once you have the BES data plan set up, you should request a wireless activation password by writing to email@example.com (or submit a Help request). You will then be all set to follow the instructions below.
1. Expand the menu on your BlackBerry device using the menu button.
- Go to Options.
- Go to Date & Time.
- Set the correct time zone.
- Go back to the main screen.
2. Once you have received the wireless activation password, you can follow the directions below to activate your device.
- Go to Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation.
- Type in your email address.
- Type in the wireless activation password provided to you.
- Click on menu and hit Activate.