Note: Faculty and staff using Office/Outlook 2007 are eligible for an upgrade under the Microsoft Enterprise Agreement – www-staging.bu.edu/tech/microsoft. Please consider updating your software and then follow the configuration instructions for Outlook 2010 instead of the information outlined on this page.
To add a Mail Profile for Microsoft Exchange in Outlook 2007
- Go to Control Panel->Mail->Show Profiles->Add.
- Name your profile and click OK.
- If you do not log into Windows with your administrator credentials, you will have to check the box at the bottom to “Manually configure server settings.” If you do log in with your admin credentials, you should see the settings automatically (because Outlook 2007 has detected them from the domain and mail controllers).
- Check the 2nd option, Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter Microsoft Exchange Server: xmail.bu.edu
- Leave Use Cached Exchange Mode checked.
- User Name is your BU login name.
- Select Check Name.
- If prompted, provide your BU login name and Kerberos password. (In some cases, you might need to login with your domain in the format ADlogin or AD2login as applicable, with the corresponding password.)
- The Global Address List lookup box may come up if your name is duplicated at BU. Find and choose yourself.
- Click Next and Finish and OK.
- Launch Outlook and if prompted, provide your BU login name and Kerberos password. (In some cases, you might need to login with your domain in the format ADlogin or AD2login as applicable, with the corresponding password.)
Want to use an additional account in Outlook?
If you would like to use a second Exchange account in Outlook, you must upgrade to Outlook 2010, as described above.
To add an IMAP account, go through the setup process as outlined above but opt to add an Internet Email account instead of an Exchange account. Then complete the server settings information with whatever are the settings for the host of your second account (e.g. mail.comcast.net).
For more information, see Using an Additional Email Account.