Why Use SecureMail?
As described on the service overview, SecureMail is in use by Boston University faculty and administrators who need to ensure that specific messages they send go out with the highest level of encryption. Additional information on the uses of SecureMail at BU is also available.
To set up a SecureMail account, you will need to click on the link supplied to you in a notifying message. (If you do not have a notifying message, please click the “Help” icon to request that one be generated for you.)
Once you have clicked on the supplied link and are in the SecureMail system, you will need to create a password for the account. NOTE: Passwords expire every 180 days, and you will be prompted to change it upon login. The password complexity rules are:
- A minimum length of 10 characters
- At least 1 number
- At least 1 letter
- At least 1 special character (e.g., @#$&%^)
To learn how to use SecureMail, you should review the detailed DataMotion SecureMail User Manual.
NOTE: The SecureMail system has a mailbox quota of 250 MB and a mail retention period of two years, after which time your email will be automatically deleted.
Send SecureMail via the Web Portal
You can use SecureMail from a web browser. Simply log in to the secure email system to create and send mail.
Send SecureMail via the Microsoft Outlook Client
If you use Microsoft Outlook with Exchange, you can compose and edit a message from within Outlook and send it via SecureMail using a single button click. To get started, install the “SecureMail for Outlook” client and a Send Secure button will be added to Outlook. When you click this button instead of the regular Send button, your email will be sent securely using SecureMail without having to log in to the DataMotion web portal. Additional information on this and other SecureMail features is available.
To download and install SecureMail for Outlook:
- If you are upgrading to a newer version of the button, please begin by uninstalling your current version.
- Make sure that you have chosen File-Exit or File-Quit in Outlook to make sure the Outlook application is not running.
- Download the button from https://ssl.datamotion.com/button/downloadcenter.aspx and follow the provided steps to install it.
- Once the button is installed, you can launch Outlook again to begin using it.