If you are on a very slow connection, or old computer, or have some other reason to need a simple, quick interface to ACS email, the UNIX-based (text only) Pine email program can be useful. To launch Pine:
- Use SSH or Telnet software to open the host acs.bu.edu.
- Once you have launched SSH or Telnet to acs.bu.edu, log in as prompted with your BU login name and Kerberos password.
- After logging in, you may be asked to give the terminal type, in which case you should enter vt100 and press Enter to proceed.
- Next you may be asked whether or not you want to read system news. You can press y, n or q as appropriate.
- Then at the %, type pine and press Enter.
Pine is an easy-to-use, menu-driven program. Most likely you will pick up the basics without any instruction, but there is some online documentation available. Note that, although Pine is a text-based email client, you can save attachments to your ACS account.