Lync is a component of Microsoft Office 2013, which is available for download under BU’s Microsoft Enterprise Agreement, as described below.
NOTE: Please be sure you have reviewed the Security Considerations before using Lync.
- Windows version 7 or higher is required. Lync 2013 does not work on Windows XP.
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or higher is required.
Set up Lync
Note: Many faculty and staff already have Lync installed on their BU-owned computers.
- Windows - Faculty and staff are eligible to download the full version of Lync for Windows (or can get the basic client from Microsoft).
- Mac – Follow our detailed instructions to download, install and configure Lync on a Mac.
- Mobile - Instructions are available to use Lync on mobile devices. For a list of features supported on each device, see the Mobile Client Comparison Tables in the Microsoft TechNet library. For known issues, visit Microsoft’s Lync Mobile Known Issues page.
- Linux – (Unsupported) instructions are provided for installing and configuring Pidgin.
After you install Lync, you will launch it from your computer or device just like any other application. If it’s your first time using Lync and it doesn’t connect automatically, provide your email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the password you use to access email, when prompted, then click Sign-in.
Non-BU affiliates can communicate with anyone using BU Lync, as described on the Guest Access page.
If you experience any problems, see Troubleshooting Lync sign-in errors or submit a Help request for assistance.
To learn more about use of Lync once you have it installed, see the related Learn More page.