Skype for Business/Lync for Mac is a component of Microsoft Office 2013, which is available for download under BU’s Microsoft Enterprise Agreement, as described below.
NOTE: Please be sure you have reviewed the Security Considerations before using Skype for Business/Lync for Mac.
- Windows version 7 or higher is required. Skype for Business does not work on Windows XP.
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or higher is required for Lync for Mac.
Set up Skype for Business/Lync for Mac
Note: Many faculty and staff already have Skype for Business/Lync for Mac installed on their BU-owned computers.
- Windows - Faculty and staff are eligible to download the full version of Skype for Business (or can get the basic client from Microsoft).
- Mac – Follow our detailed instructions to download, install and configure Lync for Mac.
- Mobile - Instructions are available to use Lync for Mac on mobile devices. For a list of features supported on each device, see the Mobile Client Comparison Tables in the Microsoft TechNet library. For known issues, visit Microsoft’s Skype for Business/Lync Mobile Known Issues page.
- Linux – (Unsupported) instructions are provided for installing and configuring Pidgin.
After you install Skype for Business/Lync for Mac, you will launch it from your computer or device just like any other application. If it’s your first time using Lync and it doesn’t connect automatically, provide your email address (email@example.com) and the password you use to access email, when prompted, then click Sign-in.
Non-BU affiliates can communicate with anyone using BU Skype for Business/Lync for Mac, as described on the Guest Access page.
If you experience any problems, see Troubleshooting Skype for Business/Lync for Mac sign-in errors or submit a Help request for assistance.
To learn more about use of Skype for Business/Lync for Mac once you have it installed, see the related Learn More page.