Those who do not have a BU login name can communicate with Boston University Lync users in a number of ways. First, anyone can use their own personal or professional Office 365 account to communicate with someone at BU via Lync. In addition, non-BU affiliates can communicate via instant messenger and audio, as described on the Lync and Skype Integration page; or they can join a Lync meeting as a Guest, following the instructions below.
- These instructions were written for Windows users (Internet Explorer recommended) but will also be helpful on the Mac.
- There’s no harm in joining a meeting early, so first-timers might want to begin this process several minutes in advance.
- If you see: “An error occurred during the online meeting” follow these steps to gain access to the meeting:
1) Copy the “Join Online Meeting” URL from the meeting invite and paste it into a web browser.
2) Add “?sl=1″ (without quotes) to the end of that URL, and then press Enter. For example, the Online Meeting URL https://meet.lync.com/…/xxxxx, would become https://meet.lync.com/…xxxxx?sl=1 in the browser.
1. Click on the Join Lync Meeting link provided in the meeting invitation, which will look something like this:
2. Next, provide your name as a Guest, make sure that Install Lync Web App plug-in is selected, and then Join the meeting.
3. Run (or Install) the plug-in and Allow if prompted.