As part of your access to Office 365/SharePoint Online, you also receive
- Your BU OneDrive – 1 Terabyte of space where you can store files and share them with others (also known as your “OneDrive @ Boston University”)
- Access to Office Online – Web-based versions of all the applications in the Microsoft Office suite
Your BU OneDrive is an implementation of Microsoft’s OneDrive for Business. It is part of your SharePoint Personal Site, located in BU’s tenant in Microsoft’s cloud-based Office 365. You can synchronize files you store in the cloud to multiple Windows-based personal computers (a synch tool for Macs is due in late 2014) and access them from mobile devices. You can also share files and folders with people both inside and outside Boston University. Learn more about OneDrive for Business, of which your BU OneDrive is an implementation, in The OneDrive Blog.
Once you are licensed for Office 365/SharePoint Online, you can access your BU OneDrive using the login instructions for SharePoint Online. The first time you log in, Office 365 will begin to provision your Personal Site. For subsequent logins, you can also log in directly using the address https://bushare.onedrive.com.
FAQs and How-to’s
- What’s the difference between OneDrive (the consumer version) and OneDrive for Business (your BU OneDrive)? You may already have a standalone consumer version OneDrive, or one that came as part of a personal Office 365 subscription, e.g., one that came with a new computer.
- Watch an entertaining video that explains the difference and puts them both into a larger context
- Sync OneDrive for Business or SharePoint site libraries to your computer – Instructions for Windows OS – a synch tool for Macs is due in late 2014
- Get the OneDrive for Business app that’s right for you
- Sharing content internally and externally with OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online – Everything you ever wanted to know about sharing, presented at the Microsoft SharePoint 2014 Conference by two of the people who designed the new SharePoint Sharing capabilities.
You can edit the files in your BU OneDrive or anywhere else in Office 365/SharePoint Online (but not on your desktop) using web-based versions of Microsoft Office applications, collectively known as Office Online. When you view the list of your online files in a web browser, simply click on a file to view it in the Office Online app; then, to edit it, choose “Edit in
Office Online apps offer simultaneous editing, so you can collaborate in real time on files you share with others.
Note that Office Online is web-based, so you can only use Office Online apps within your web browser, to view and edit files in the cloud.
BU OneDrive and Office Online are available to faculty and staff by request.