University Switchboard 617-353-2000
Operators are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Switchboard operators can help you with directory service and setting up conference calls.
Automated Speech Attendant
Automated directory service is available at all times to callers. Operators will continue to be available to all callers on request weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The service greets callers, asks for the name of a person or department, confirms selections, and transfers callers to the designated phone number. The service also allows callers to request published email addresses.
Names in this system have been professionally recorded. If the system does not pronounce your name correctly, please contact Communication Services at 3-2097 or firstname.lastname@example.org as to assist in making the adjustment.
If your telephone number is listed incorrectly, please update the information at BUworks Central. Select “Employee Self Service – Personal Information”, “Office Address” and correct your number. The directory service system is updated weekly.
Tips on using the system:
- Speak normally and at a regular pace. Exaggerating pronunciation may hinder voice recognition.
- When asking for a person, state the first name followed by the last name.
- There is no need to wait for the end of a system prompt. You can interrupt the speech system with another request at any time.
- Avoid background noise such as the radio. Results are likely to be better from a telephone handset than a speakerphone.
- Keywords the system is programmed to recognize include “cancel” to stop the current transaction and return to the main menu, “email” to request a published email address, and “help” which will provide additional information on accessing the system.