Note: If you are converting to Mozilla Thunderbird from another email program, the installer can adopt all settings, local messages, and address information automatically.
- Download Thunderbird from Mozilla.
Note: If you are already using Mozilla Thunderbird and this download will be an upgrade, you should not need to remove or rename anything related to the previous install of Thunderbird.
- After the download, you will find the Thunderbird Setup installer on your Desktop.
- Quit out of any programs you are running (including your web browser). Double-click on the installer, and go through the standard install process.
- When it is done, you can click Finish and, by default, Launch Mozilla Thunderbird now is selected.
Follow the instructions below for setting up your email account.
1. Go to Tools -> Account Settings.
2. Then choose Account Actions -> Add Mail Account.
3. Enter Your name.
4. Enter your Email address in the form email@example.com where login is your BU
5. Enter your BU Kerberos password.
6. Press Continue and then Manual config.
7. In the Incoming row under Server hostname enter imap.gmail.com.
8. Enter 993 for the port.
9. Select SSL/TLS for the SSL.
10. Select Normal password for Authentication.
11. In the Outgoing row under Server hostname enter smtp.bu.edu.
12. Enter 465 for the port.
13. Select SSL/TLS for the SSL.
14. Select Normal password for Authentication.
15. In the Username row enter your BU login name.
16. Press Done.
17. Select your newly created account labeled firstname.lastname@example.org where login is
your BU login name and under Account name rename it so that you can
distinguish it (from other BU accounts for instance).
18. Press OK.
If you have any issues using these settings, take a look at Google’s recommended IMAP settings.