What is FileZilla?
FileZilla is a FTP (File Transfer Protocol) desktop client that is free, easy-to-use, and allows you to use multiple connection types (FTP, FTPS, and SFTP).
- Download the .exe file for Windows.
- After FileZilla has downloaded, double-click on the icon to start the installation and follow the steps provided by the installer.
- Before clicking Finish, be sure the Start FileZilla now box is checked.
- Learn more about FileZilla using their knowledge base.
Connecting to a Website with Quickconnect
- Launch FileZilla.
- Provide the Host, Username, and Password.
- Change the Port field to 22.
- Click Quickconnect.
Information about connecting to a BU departmental or people.bu.edu site can be found in the Websites section of TechWeb.
Whenever possible while connecting to transfer files, we recommend using SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol).