Websites on blogs.bu.edu
A blog is an easy way for anyone in the BU community to have a personal space on the Web. The blogs.bu.edu service uses WordPress – a powerful and easy-to-use website content management system. With a site on blogs.bu.edu, you can post message to your blog and create web pages. Your blog can be used for personal purposes. Blogs can also be used for research or other University business, but we strongly recommend sites.bu.edu for research and official University business.
Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments, Guests, Student Groups (not registered with SAO)
You can get started publishing online quickly and easily, without the need to learn HTML code. Communicate and collaborate with the BU community, colleagues, classmates, and other blog users at BU. With a blog, it is easy to stay in touch with friends and family. Start a discussion by posting a message to your blog, then interact with blog visitors who leave comments.
- WordPress – WordPress sites offer a modern, full-featured content management system. It’s all web based, so there’s no software to buy or install.
- Quick start – Instantly create a blog, just by logging in.
- Simple management – Quickly and easily manage your WordPress powered site through a web-based interface.
- Comments – Interact with your visitors through comments on your blog posts.
- Organize content – Use categories and tags to easily classify, sort, and filter your content.
- RSS – People can subscribe to your blog posts via RSS, or you can embed external RSS feeds on your blog.
- Restrict public access – A web-based interface lets you restrict access to a single page on your site, your entire site, or anything in between – without writing any code.
- Security – All sites are hosted in on-campus data centers and feature 24×7 monitoring, data redundancy, and backup services.
- Domain eligibility is based upon how the website will be used. Please see the Website Services Matrix for more information.
- WordPress training or equivalent experience with WordPress is required.
- BU WordPress runs in a managed environment. We do not install themes or plugins from outside developers.
- Blogs for students and individual publishers must carry a link to the Disclaimer for Student and Personal Websites.
- Sites for individuals, student groups, projects, and events that have remained inactive for 2 years may be subject to removal if IS&T cannot verify a site status or the site owner or admin is no longer affiliated with the University.