Configuring Mozilla Thunderbird
Note: If you are converting to Mozilla Thunderbird from another email program, the installer can adopt all settings, local messages, and address information automatically.
- Download Thunderbird from Mozilla.
Note: If you are already using Mozilla Thunderbird and this download will be an upgrade, you should not need to remove or rename anything related to the previous install of Thunderbird.
- After the download, you will find the Thunderbird Setup installer on your Desktop.
- Quit out of any programs you are running (including your web browser). Double-click on the installer, and go through the standard install process.
- When it is done, you can click Finish and, by default, Launch Mozilla Thunderbird now is selected.
Follow the instructions below for setting up your email account.
- Go to Tools -> Account Settings
- Then choose Account Actions -> Add Mail Account
- Enter Your name
- Enter your Email address in the form email@example.com where login is your BU login name
- Enter your BU Kerberos password
- Press Continue and then Stop
- In the Incoming row, use the pull-down menu to switch the server type from POP to IMAP
- The click on Manual Setup
- Select the account that you are in the process of setting up.
- Change the Account Name to include BU Google Apps (or whatever name you prefer to help distinguish it from your other accounts).
- Click Server Settings
- Enter imap.gmail.com for the Server Name
- Enter 993 for the port
- For the User Name, enter firstname.lastname@example.org where login is your BU login name
- Select SSL/TLS for the Connection security
- Select Normal password for the authentication method
- Switch to the Copies & Folders tab.
- In the When sending messages automatically section, make sure the Place a copy in is not checked.
- In the Drafts and Templates section, select Other below Keep message drafts in an in the drop-down to the right of Other, click on your BU Google Mail address and select Drafts.
- Switch to the Junk Settings tab.
- Make sure the box next to Enable adaptive jump mail controls is not checked.
- Modify the other settings categories as desired.
- Next, click on the Outgoing Server (SMTP) category.
- Click Add
- Enter BU SMTP for the Description
- Enter smtp.bu.edu for the Server Name
- Select SSL for the Connection security
- Select Normal password for authentication method
- Enter your BU login name for the User Name
- Click OK
- Click Set as Default
- Click OK
If you have any issues using these settings, take a look at Google’s recommended IMAP settings.