Windows 7/Vista Configuration
Ethernet settings are managed in the Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Locate the network icon on your taskbar, in the lower-right corner of your screen. The icon usually depicts one or two computers with a globe or wire.
- Right-click on the network icon and choose Network and Sharing Center.
- In the Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center, click on Local Area Connection next to you wired network and then click Properties. In Windows Vista, click on Manage network connections, found on the left side of the window.
- Click first on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv.4) and then click Properties.
- For a DHCP connection (BU residences and most BU offices), your TCP/IP Properties should be set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Click OK and Close until you return to the Network and Sharing Center.
Do you need to use a static IP address instead of DHCP? (Probably not.)
If you are in one of the few offices on campus where static addresses are used instead of DHCP, you should get your IP address and Default gateway from your local network administrator.
Follow Steps 1-4 above, then for Step 5 choose Use the following IP address and fill in the exact values your administrator gave you for IP address and Default gateway.
When you use a static address, you will need to enter some DNS server values. The DNS server values for BU are: