Transition from ACS
- Students and alumni who are still on ACS, BU retirees, and those with ACS Guest status should transition to the use of BU Google Apps as described on this page.
- Faculty and staff are also welcome to use BU Google Apps. However, forwarding your mail to the Mail component of BU Google Apps is discouraged, since the use of Exchange is recommended.
- Student Organization (SAO) accounts can be transitioned to BU Google Apps. However, instead of following the steps outlined below, the person listed as the account owner should contact the IT Help Center for assistance.
Instead of following the steps on this page, you can opt to forward your ACS mail to an external email account (commercial Gmail, etc.). If you know that you do not want a BU Google Apps account and simply wish to forward your mail, you can proceed directly to the Email Forwarding System to make that change. However, we recommend that you review all information related to forwarding before you proceed.
The TechWeb site contains extensive information related to the use of BU Google Apps. You are encouraged to review the FAQs, the information related to BU Google Mail, and other helpful documentation that you’ll find linked from those pages. However, the steps provided below outline the basic steps required by everyone with an ACS account who is transitioning to the use of BU Google Apps.
The step-by-step guide
- Create a BU Google Apps account if you do not already have one.
- Once your account is ready, you should log in to any of the Apps linked from www.bu.edu/google in order to make sure your access to the new account is working.
- Next, configure your mail forwarding at www.bu.edu/computing/email/forwarding/ where you will see an option to Choose BU Google Mail. Alternatively, you can manually forward your mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have set up forwarding, test it out. Send yourself a message to email@example.com (where login is your BU login name) and make sure you receive it at www.bu.edu/google/mail and *not* on ACS.
- If you would like to be able to use a desktop or mobile device mail client in addition to the BU Google Mail web client, configure your mail clients so that they are accessing BU Google Mail. Important Note: If there is mail on ACS that you would like to move to BU Google Mail, for now you should leave working access to ACS in your desktop client(s) so you can drag messages between the two accounts. To set that up, simply add BU Google Mail as an additional “Account” in your desktop client.
(Note: Faculty and staff are discouraged from taking steps 3, 4 and 5 since use of Exchange is recommended.)