Looking for the best ways to learn more about the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)? Since there is so much information out there, here’s a list of resources and learning opportunities tailored to the BU community.
ITIL Awareness Training Session
- A video recording and the presentation slides from an ITSM Academy ITIL Awareness training session for IS&T staff (available to faculty and staff only).
ITIL is a framework of best practices, developed in the UK by the Office of Government Commerce (OGC). The official ITIL website is at www.itil-officialsite.com, but much of the official information is at www.best-management-practice.com, run for OGC by The Stationery Office (TSO).
- The official overview, for free! Download the free 50-page book, An Introductory Overview of ITIL V3, at www.best-management-practice.com/gempdf/itSMF_An_Introductory_Overview_of_ITIL_V3.pdf. This reading is often a prerequisite for attending ITIL courses, including the ITIL Awareness training that Reg Lo of Third Sky gave at BUMC on 17-Sep-2009 (see IS&T learning opportunities, below).
- Speak ITIL-ese (ITILian?) like a native! Know your acronyms from your initialisms. Download the free, 55-page Official ITIL Glossary of Terms and Definitions at www.itil-officialsite.com/InternationalActivities/TranslatedGlossaries.aspx.
- A few official books to consider:
- Passing Your ITIL Foundation Exam, produced by the official publisher of ITIL and available through the itSMF (see below) Online Store.
- The Introduction to the ITIL Service Lifecycle, available through the itSMF Online Store. It’s the official introduction to the ultimate read:
- The five official ITIL Lifecycle Publications, available separately or as a set through the itSMF Online Store.
- The IT Service Management Forum (itSMF, http://itsmfusa.org/) is a well-known group offering many resources and holding a big convention each year. Hillary Rosenfeld is a member of the board for the itSMF Higher Education Special Interest Group.
- Educause has a constituent group for ITIL in Higher Education (www.educause.edu/groups/itil). They also offer a list of resources at www.educause.edu/Resources/Browse/ITIL/17409. Googling Educause ITIL produces many other results.
- LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com) has several groups related to ITIL, including
- IT Service Management Forum
- ITIL Tools (Software, Systems, Templates, Documents, Reviews)
- ITIL Training (Courses, Exams, Tips, Material)
- ITIL v2/v3 Service Management (ITSM) and ISO 20000 + Subgroups
- ITSM (ITIL) Professionals
- The itSMF New England Local Interest Group (http://itsmfusa.site-ym.com/members/group.aspx?id=87660) has a number of excellent presentations in and near Boston each year.
- The itSMF has several channels on BrightTALK where they offer ITIL-related presentations. Recordings of past presentations are also available: