There is now a new user interface option for ServiceNow. It offers more user control for better usability and simplified navigation.
These features include:
- Split screen: view list and form panes at the same time, similar to an email client.
- Bookmarks: customize the Edge, which is a tool bar with quick links to commonly used features. Users can choose to hide the application navigator and use their bookmarks instead.
- Flyout windows: open informational windows without navigating away from your working panes
Users may choose to switch back and forth between the “Old” User Interface and the “New” User Interface by clicking on a link in the top right hand corner of your ServiceNow instance.
The new user interface contains the following elements:
- Edge: gray toolbar on the left side of the screen. It provides the following functions:
- Show or hide the application navigator or the banner frame.
- Split the screen (content frame) vertically or horizontally into list and form panes.
- Create and manage bookmarks.
- List pane: pane on the top or left in split screen view. Module links open in the list pane. Bookmarks open in the list pane by default, but users can configure the bookmark to open in the form pane.
- Form pane: pane on the bottom or right in split screen view. Links from lists in the list pane open in the form pane.
- Resize controls: dividers between panes that allow you to resize elements.
Changing the Display
Show or hide the application navigator or banner frame
- To hide the application navigator, click the Toggle navigator () button. To show it, click the button again.
- To hide the banner frame, click the Toggle banner () button. To show it, click the button again.
Split the screen
- To split the screen vertically, click the Toggle vertical split () button. The left becomes the list pane and the and the right becomes the form pane. To remove the split, click the button again.
- To split the screen horizontally, click the Toggle horizontal split () button. The top becomes the list pane and the and the bottom becomes the form pane. To remove the split, click the button again.
Resize an element
- To resize the application navigator, point to the divider between the navigator and the content frame. When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow, drag the window to the desired size.
- To resize the list and form panes, point to the divider between the panes. When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow, drag the panes to the desired size.
A bookmark is a link to information in the ServiceNow system. All users create and manage their own bookmarks.
To create a bookmark, drag a link to the edge. You can drag any of the following links:
- Modules in the application navigator; the icon in the navigator is automatically set as the bookmark icon
- Links in lists (including lists displayed in flyouts)
To manage bookmarks:
- Point to the bookmark on your edge. When the tip window appears, click Edit bookmark.
- Enter the Title to appear as the bookmark link or flyout header.
- Select the Flyout check box to open the link in a flyout when you click the icon on the edge. Clear the check box to open the link in the content frame. A flyout is a window that opens on top of the current screen without navigating away from your working panes.
- Note: Homepages that are set to refresh automatically should not be added as flyout bookmarks. These homepages refresh in the background, which can slow down performance for you and other users.
- Select the Show on edge check box to display the bookmark as a button on your edge. Clear the check box to remove the button from the edge; the bookmark still appears on your bookmark list ().
- Select the Open in form pane check box to open the link in the form pane. Clear the check box to open the link in the list pane (default).
- To change the bookmark icon, click Image then select from the list of available icons.
- Click Update.
To open a bookmark, click the bookmark button in your edge. By default, the bookmark opens as defined in your bookmark settings (flyout, list pane, or form pane). To override your settings:
- Hold CTRL (Windows) or COMMAND (Mac) and click to open the bookmark in a flyout.
- Hold SHIFT and click to open the bookmark in a pane.