If you have just been hired to work as an IT Help Center Consultant, congratulations! This page explains some of the things that will happen between now and the time you first start work.
There is a small amount of paperwork that you must complete before you begin working at the IT Help Center. We will ask you to print out and fill out some of the following forms and then return them to David Cole.
- The Information Services & Technology Hiring Short Form is required for everyone who works at the IT Help Center.
- If this is your first job at BU and you are a US citizen or permanent resident, you will need to come in with some specific forms of ID and fill out the I-9 form. The form itself tells you (on the last page) what types of ID you will need. Note that you should only fill out Section One of this form — the IT Help Center staff will fill out Section Two.Note: If you are an International Student, please read this important information (PDF), and file your I-9 with the ISSO rather than with the IT Help Center staff. You can then bring us the form the ISSO will give you.
- If you’d like direct deposit of your paycheck, here is a direct deposit form that you can fill out.
- If you haven’t filled out a tax withholding form recently, you may want to give us an updated W-4 form.
- The IT Help Center requires all new hires to complete a FERPA form. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that guarantees the confidentiality of a student’s records. For more information on FERPA visit the Student Employment Office website.
Please feel free to contactÂ David if you have questions about any of these forms.
That’s all we need to hire you. However, if you find you need any additional payroll forms during your time at the IT Help Center, the SEO website is the place to look.
Your Start Date and Your Schedule
Your ResNet schedule will be worked out in advance of your return to campus in the fall. Long term employment schedules are handled later in the Service Desk and Desktop Services.
Our Mail Alias
Shortly before you start work at the IT Help Center, we will add your email address to the IT Help Center student and staff mail alias. We use this alias to communicate with all the IT Help Center student consultants, and other IT Help Center students may use it to communicate with you, so please try to read your mail regularly.
The IT Help Center Intranet
The IT Help Center has an Intranet at www.bu.edu/techinternal. When you start work, you will be added to the access list for this part of the Web. You will then be able to access our intranet — simply enter your BU login name and password when prompted. Here you will find a number of IT Help Center internal documents, including the schedule, contact lists and photos of the other consultants, referral policies, tips, and the IT Help Center Student Consultant Handbook.
The IT Help Center Student Consultant Handbook
The IT Help Center Student Consultant Handbook, found on the IT Help Center Intranet, is designed to address many of your questions about working at the IT Help Center. We recommend you at least skim through the handbook before you begin work. Please plan to read all the way through the handbook sometime in the first week after you start work. The handbook also includes important information on using the STEP payroll program so you can enter hours and get paid — please be sure that you understand this section!
IT Help Center Staff and Student Consultants
The IT Help Center includes numerous staff members whose offices are at 179 Amory Street and beyond. You will also be working with a number of other student consultants. On the intranet you will find more detailed information about your co-workers, including photos and contact information.
If you have any questions about your work at the IT Help Center, please feel free to talk to any of the IT Help Center staff. We look forward to working with you!