We Bagged the Box
Boston University and Office Depot recently conducted a Customer Satisfaction Survey in select offices, initiated by BU’s Sourcing & Procurement team, to figure out how orders can be packaged more efficiently and sustainably. Using the results of the survey, Office Depot has teamed up with sustainability@BU and BU Sourcing to create the “We Bagged the Box” program pilot, which aims to reduce waste from packaging material and help lower the university’s carbon emissions.
The pilot became effective February 15, 2011. All orders that weigh less than 20 pounds will be delivered in a bag rather than a corrugated carton which included air pillows. By implementing this program the University will save annually approximately:
- 4 tons of wood
- 22,000 pounds of Carbon Dioxide emissions
- 25,000 gallons of wastewater
- 2,000 pounds of solid water
The following buildings and departments will be the first to implement and evaluate the program. After 30 days of trial, more buildings will be added until the entire campus is covered.
- 120 Ashford Street – Facilities Building
- 985 Commonwealth Avenue
- 110 and 111 Cummington Street – Engineering and Computer Sciences
- 264 and 270 Bay State Road – Economics and Social Work