This year the Scarlet Squad is green. sustainability@BU is once again teaming up with Residence Life and Orientation to help promote recycling efforts on campus during move-in. More than 400 upperclassmen are volunteering to help greet new and returning students as they prepared for the academic year
For over 20 years, the Boston University Scarlet Squad has welcomed new students to campus. The Scarlet Squad is a group of red-shirted upperclassmen, faculty, and staff who greet first-year students, assist them as they move into our residence halls, and promote sustainable practices during move-in. Participating in the Scarlet Squad is a terrific way to meet new people and give back to the Boston University community!
Each Scarlet Squad member is asked to commit to at least three 3-hour shifts during Early Move-in (Session A) and/or three 3-hour shifts during Official Move-in Weekend (Session B). There will be a mandatory training session for all Session A volunteers on Tuesday, August 30, 2016, and for all Session B volunteers on Friday, September 2, 2016 (Session B training is not necessary if the volunteer has attended the Session A training). Volunteers will be contacted over the summer with specific details regarding their assignments once the schedule is finalized.
In return for their time, all Scarlet Squad volunteers will:
- get the opportunity to meet and welcome new and returning BU students
- be able to move in early to their fall residence assignments
- receive meals before the dining halls open for the 2016-2017 academic year
- receive an exclusive Scarlet Squad 2016 t-shirt
- support recycling efforts within their residential community
- promote Residence Hall Association (RHA) efforts that include quality of life endeavors and programming within residence halls
- receive an invitation to attend an exclusive dessert reception for all Scarlet Squad members during the first week of the fall semester
- have a great opportunity to recruit new members for their student organizations