This year the Scarlet Squad is green. sustainability@BU once again teamed up with Residence Life to help promote recycling efforts on campus during move-in. More than 400 upperclassmen, faculty and staff volunteers helped greet new and returning students as they prepared for the academic year
For over 20 years, the Boston University Scarlet Squad has welcomed new students to campus. The Scarlet Squad is a group of red-shirted upperclassmen, faculty, and staff who greet first-year students, assist them and their families as they move in to our residence halls, and promote sustainable practices during move-in. Participating in the Scarlet Squad is a terrific way to meet new people and give back to the Boston University community!
Each Scarlet Squad member is asked to commit to at least one 5-hour shift during Official Move-in Weekend. Applications to volunteer for Move-In 2014 will be posted later in the year. Volunteers will be contacted over the summer with specific details regarding their assignments once the schedule is finalized.
“It’s a great opportunity to help out the incoming freshmen, and if you have positive memories of your move-in day then it’s great to be able to help provide that for the next generation at BU”.
-Reva Scharf, 2013 Scarlet Squad volunteer
In return for their time, all Scarlet Squad volunteers will:
- get the opportunity to meet and welcome new and returning BU students
- be able to move in early to their fall residence assignments
- receive a special Scarlet Squad t-shirt
- support recycling efforts within their residential community
- promote RHA efforts that include quality of life endeavors and programming within residence halls
- receive an invitation to attend an exclusive dessert reception for all Scarlet Squad members during the first week of the fall semester
- have a great opportunity to recruit new members for their student organizations
To sign up, please visit the Residence Life website.