Health Records & Insurance

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all full-time or part-time international students to submit proof of immunization against the following communicable diseases: measles, mumps, rubella (MMR); tetanus (must be Tdap vaccine); hepatitis-B; (bacterial) meningitis; and varicella (read more about these requirements). Your health care provider can provide proof of vaccination against these diseases with dates of your immunizations or they can complete the Immunization Record Form. This information must be received before you can complete your course registration.

Immunization Record Form

If you are not in compliance with all Boston University Health Immunization requirements when you arrive on the Boston University campus, you have 7 days to obtain the necessary vaccination(s) or you will be considered out of status. You may obtain vaccinations (by scheduling an appointment in advance) at:

Student Health Services
881 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Phone: 617-353-3575

Medical Insurance

All international students enrolled during the summer are required to have medical insurance. Since many U.S. doctors and hospitals do not recognize out-of-country coverage, it is strongly recommended that international students participate in a qualifying medical insurance plan offered by Boston University. Students are not automatically enrolled in a medical insurance plan upon registration. International students should contact Student Accounting Services at 617-353-2870 or email for information on how to obtain medical insurance. Two plan levels are available. Students who wish to also add their dependent spouse and/or children should contact for instructions.

Summer 2017 Visiting International Student Medical Insurance Rates

Dates of Enrollment Student Basic Student Plus
Summer 1 Plan
May 22 - July 1
$226 $313
Summer 2 Plan
July 2 - August 12
$232 $320
12-Week Session Plan
May 22 - August 12
$458 $633

Please note that the rates above apply only to visiting summer students. Students continuing in the fall should contact Student Accounting Services for more information.