How to Apply
Please check back on December 15 for more details about our Summer 2019 programs and to submit an application.
We consider applicants who are entering their senior year of high school in Fall 2019 and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Admission decisions take into consideration the applicant's high school grades, rigor of courses taken, standardized test scores, essays, and two letters of recommendation.
How to Apply
- Complete online application.
- Essays: When using the online application, you will be required to submit three essays on the following topics: why you selected your field of interest and what you would like to research (300 words); your background (250 words); and why you want to attend the RISE program (200 words).
- Internship Applicants Only: You must list three faculty members whose research you are interested in working on this summer and explain how their research interests align with your own. Please consult the Internship page to learn more about the exciting research happening at Boston University and to find professors whose research interests match your own. Note: we cannot guarantee that students accepted into the RISE Internship track will be placed in one of the laboratories listed on their application.
- Two Recommendation Letters: You will also be required to enter the email addresses for two people who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. One recommendation should be from a science or math teacher, and the other recommendation should be from a counselor, advisor, or teacher who knows you well. Once you submit your online application, instructions for submitting recommendation letters will be emailed automatically to your recommenders.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application form.
- Upload supplemental materials (you will receive an upload link via email):
- High School Transcript: Your full high school transcript must include your Fall 2018 grades (in a quarter system, this includes first and second quarter grades).
- Standardized Test Scores: All students are required to submit PSAT, SAT, PreACT, or ACT scores. Please upload an unofficial copy of these scores (a screenshot is fine). We will not receive them if you send them through the testing agency. In order to be accepted your full name must be visible on the score report.
- Fax or mail financial documents (financial aid applicants only)
- Financial Aid Documents: If applying for financial aid, relevant supplementary materials must be faxed or sent by post (fax preferred). Do not email or upload these materials. For more information, please visit our Tuition, Fees, & Aid page.
Note: email is the primary form of communication during the application and admission process. Please ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application. Inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
Research in Science & Engineering Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room B05
Boston, MA 02215
RISE applicants must submit their online application and supplemental materials by February 14, 2019. Recommendations are due by February 21, 2019. It is your responsibility to ensure that all application pieces have arrived by the deadline. An application is considered complete once the online application, recommendations, supplemental materials, and financial aid documents (for those applying for financial aid) are received. Only complete applications are reviewed, and materials received after the deadline will not be considered. We will email you once we have received your complete application to confirm receipt.
Admission decisions are made without regard to financial aid requests.
Admission decisions and placements typically take 6-8 weeks from our February 21, 2019 deadline, but decisions may take longer for the RISE Internship track, since we need to have a lab placement confirmed before admitting a student.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.