How to Apply
The application deadline for the High School Honors program has been extended until Friday, May 31. All online applications and supplementary materials must be received by this date.
We consider academically motivated applicants who are entering their junior or senior year of high school in 2013. Qualified juniors need to be in Honors and/or AP courses, and have taken a PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PLAN standardized test, to be considered. Admission is based on a combination of high school grades, rigor of courses taken, standardized test scores, a personal statement, and two letters of recommendation.
Although results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are not required for the admission of international students, English is the language of instruction at Boston University, and a high degree of competency is assumed. Most academic programs require a minimum score of:
- 550 on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT)
- 84 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
How to Apply
- Complete online application.
- When using the online application, you will be required to submit a 500 - 750 word personal statement describing why you want to attend the High School Honors Program.
- Submit the application fee:
- A $50 non-refundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application form.
- Email, mail, or fax:
- An official copy of your complete high school transcript including your fall 2012 grades.
- A copy of your most recent PSAT, SAT, PLAN, or ACT scores. (Please email, fax, or mail a copy of your scores directly to our office, not through the testing agency.) If you are a rising senior and have not yet taken any of these tests, please explain why in a separate email to email@example.com.
- Two letters of recommendation; one from an academic teacher and one from a guidance counselor.
International students must complete and include additional forms with their application in order to obtain an F-1 student visa.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication through the application and admission process. Please ensure that both parent and student emails are entered correctly on the application. Also, please inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
High School Honors Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 105
Boston, MA 02215
Students Applying for Financial Aid
Financial aid is available for the High School Honors Program based on need and academic merit. Awards cover partial tuition and fees.Commuter students enrolled in only one course and international students are not eligible for financial aid. To apply for financial aid, please provide the following:
- Pages 1 and 2 of your parents' 2012 Federal Income Tax Form. Please make sure to block out all social security numbers and fax or mail the form to our office.
- A letter describing your general financial situation and the particular circumstances that prevent you from paying the full tuition and fees.
The application deadline for the High School Honors Program is May 13, 2013. Applicants applying for financial aid need to submit their completed applications by April 19, 2013. Admission decisions are made without regard to financial aid consideration.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, and only applications with all of the required materials are reviewed. We will email you once we have received your completed application. We will begin reviewing applications in the beginning of January. Please allow about three weeks after we have received your completed application for a decision to be made and emailed to you.
For any further questions or comments, contact us.