Summer is finally here! With all this beautiful weather and more time...
- Today is Thursday, August 25
- One week outSeptember 1
- Two weeks outSeptember 8
- Three weeks outSeptember 15
- Four weeks outSeptember 22
Starting week (4 weeks out)
- Four weeks before the screening, submit a Film Request to request a quote for the movie showing. SABO will review the request and let you know how much it will cost.
- A Student Activities staff member must secure rights and order the film before you can show it, and as a student you can’t contact the company holding the film rights on your own.
- If your group is allowed a free showing of a film, make sure you submit written documentation from the production company when you register your event on OrgSync.
- You can show films rated G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17. If a film hasn’t been rated by the Motion Picture Association of America, its rental or showing is subject to approval from our office. The same applies to films shown in residence halls.
- Federal law applies. All motion pictures, prerecorded video cassettes, and video discs are subject to copyright laws. Sales or rentals of videos from a retail outlet do not confer any public performance rights upon the purchaser or renter. This means, no matter where you’re showing the film, as a group sponsored activity you must secure official rights to do so. You can’t just buy the movie from Target and pop it in the DVD player.
- Register the event on OrgSync to secure space.
- Submit a Treasury request to secure services from Student Production Services to request the necessary A/V if your room is not a classroom. If you’re event will be in a classroom, you will have access to the standard technology in the classroom.
3 weeks out
- After you receive your film order quote, fill out a Treasury Request to secure payment for the rights. The longer you wait, the greater the delay in ordering the film, so try to submit right away.
- Student Activities will order your film upon receipt of the Treasury Request.
- For online ticket sales, use Eventbrite. *If your screening will be held in any athletic facility, paper tickets must be sold through Activities Information or through your organization using a cash bag.
2 weeks out
- This is a good time to do any advertising for your screening. *Remember: posters, flyers, and cards can only be disseminated on campus.
- If you’re selling advance tickets for the screening, open ticket sales.
- Hit your social media outlets hard this week to boost attendance. Talk to our mavens.
- If you’re selling tickets at the door, request ticket printing. Visit SABO the business day before your event to pick up a cash bag. Familiarize yourself with important cash collection policies.
- Call the Student Activities Business Office (617-353-9514) two days before your show date to confirm the arrival of a film.
- Pick up and sign for your film at Student Activities no later than 5 p.m. the day of the screening for a weekday show or 5 p.m. on Friday for a weekend show.
After the screening
- Return your film to the Student Activities Business Office within one business day of your screening.
- Bring any cash collection materials and all cash collected to the Student Activities Business Office within one business day.