Facilities Management & Planning (FM&P)
FM&P personnel open and close most campus buildings each day, and perform maintenance, upkeep, and setup of facilities. For certain kinds of programs, FM&P will be necessary since, as students, you’re restricted from setting up facilities on your own. You can select what setup you want in a variety of spaces around campus directly from The Packages Handbook. Then submit payment via OrgSync. All requests for FM&P must be submitted and approved at least two weeks prior to your event.
Opening/Closing Facilities Outside Normal Operating Hours
For a building to open early or to be kept open later than its usual closing time, complete a payment request to FM&P for at least four hours. Depending on the building needs and the duration of your event, FM&P may determine additional payment is needed.
Event Space Facilities Setup
Select a diagram from the Packages Handbook. These diagrams feature a variety of setups in spaces across campus. The prices are predetermined making it easy for you to budget for your event. Once you’ve secured a space reservation and selected a setup, submit a Payment Request via OrgSync to secure the services and pay FM&P.
- Whenever a program requires electrical power that exceeds a standard outlet, FM&P electricians need to hook up additional power. Most lighting equipment involving a dimmer board requires additional electrical power.
- Your request must include the date, location, total time power is needed, and the number of circuits and amps required for the program. It will take 5–7 business days to obtain a quote. Work with an Event Consultant to make this request.
Catering on the Charles
Arranging Catered Food
Student Catering Guide
Deadline: 72 hours prior to your event
The Student Catering Guide provides a lower cost. If the food needs for your event are minimal, speak to an Activities Consultant (AC). Student Catering Guide orders are placed in OrgSync and a meeting with Catering is not necessary. When using the Student Catering Guide, your group is responsible for the pick up and clean up of the food.
All Other Catering
Deadline: Two weeks prior to your event
- Make an appointment with a Catering staff member to discuss the program at least four weeks prior to your program date. Bring the following information to the meeting:
- Estimated attendance
- Food/beverage budget
- Submit payment via the OrgSync Treasury once you’ve received a final quote from Catering. You will need to upload this quote when submitting payment.
GSU Lower Level
617-353-2957 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Production Services (SPS)
SPS technicians are available for all programs that take place in the George Sherman Union and many programs in other campus facilities. SPS provides lighting, sound, and media support for student programs. (See Classroom Technology Services to access technology in a classroom). SPS will transport their own equipment to the program.
Deadline: Two weeks prior to your event
- Review the Packages Handbook along with an Event Consultant.
- Submit a service and payment request (this is all one step) via the OrgSync Treasury.
- SPS will review your request and make any necessary edits and/or approve the request all via OrgSync.
GSU Lower Level
Learning & Event Technology Services
You can access any basic technology in a classroom on your own, as long as you have the room reserved. Basic technology means just the projector system. If you need any additional tech services you will need to request support from Student Production Services.
Learn how to use the classroom systems any number of ways. Check out the training online or scheudle a visit to one of your group meetings. Learning & Event Technology Services (LETS) website has all the details available. And remember, this is a privilege. Groups who damage classroom technology will be held responsible and may lose access privileges or be charged a fine. Support for (LETS) on the weekends is limited so please plan accordingly.
Parking & Transportation Services
If a student group wishes to secure a parking pass for their guest, they must request one at least two weeks (ten business days) prior to the guests arrival. This request must be submitted as a Treasury request via the group’s OrgSync portal. In the notes section of the Treasury Request, the student group should identify which lot(s) they prefer. A pass will be secured for the closest available lot as determined by the Parking Office. Passes will be delivered to the Student Activities Business Office (SABO). When the passes are ready for pickup, a SABO staff member will comment on the original Treasury request as notification. Keep in mind the following:
Parking passes are available only for:
- Guests to the university, I.e. speakers, performers, lecturers, VIP attendees, etc.
- Rental vehicles utilized by Student Orgs for travel to events, conferences, competitions, etc.
- Students, staff and faculty members may not receive parking pass for vehicles registered to themselves.
Parking and Transportation Services
1019 Commonwealth Ave (note: there is no longer an office in the GSU)
Boston University Police Department (BUPD)
Police coverage is required at many programs for a variety of reasons, many of which are listed below. Student Activities, in consultation with the Boston University Police Department, makes the final determination of police coverage at a program.
BUPD officers are paid a minimum of four hours and must be present one half hour before and after the doors open for your event.
An officer(s) is usually required:
- When cash is being collected
- When a large crowd is expected
- For events featuring a speaker/performer who is a public figure, a political candidate, a visiting dignitary, government official, etc.
- For a lecture or program of a potentially controversial nature
- For some events open to the general public
- When alcohol is being served on campus
Arranging BUPD Presence
Discuss the program with a staff member at Student Activities. We’ll contact BUPD regarding your program. Student organization members may not contact BUPD directly.