To all students looking to observe Passover this coming week, meals will...
With any event, start with a rough estimate of how much time you’ll need to plan and coordinate. The more time you allow yourself to plan, the smoother the process will be. Peruse our handy planning timelines, complete with forms and requirements, for the events groups most often host:
- Film screening—Four weeks
- Play—Four weeks
- Music performance—Four weeks
- Off-campus trip—Four–six weeks
- Raffle—Three weeks
- Lecture—Three–six weeks
- Concert/DJed event—Four weeks
Once you’ve got your time frame in mind, your next stop will likely be reserving space. We can help you get in touch with the right office for different spaces available on campus. Remember, certain BU policies govern spaces available for events. We’ve got full details on available space and the rules.
Paying for it
From the essentials to those elements that really make your event stand out, it costs money to hold an event. The Allocations Board can help with many of your funding needs. Requests for finds are handled directly on their website (Regular Request and Travel Request) and decisions are posted every Monday night here. Need other help finding funds? Come on in and talk to our staff who can help you with fundraising ideas to make your event successful.
Getting the Word Out
If you want to fill the Tsai Performance Center, you’ll need to promote your event. Social media provides a great—and free—channel for that (just ask our mavens), but don’t underestimate the power of the poster on campus. Our MKTG team can help you with online and print ad design. Make sure you’re familiar with BU’s rules about publicity distribution.
No need for lines around the block—we use Eventbrite for all online ticket sales. That covers almost all student events, with the exception of those held at the Tsai Performance Center, Sargent Activities Center, or any of the athletic facilities on campus. For those venues, printing tickets with us is a breeze. Read the full guidelines for ticket sales.
Nailing the Details
Now that you’ve got so many people pumped about your event, you want to make sure it goes off hitch-free. If your event is on campus, BU Services (provided at University rates) is your one-stop shop:
- Facilities Management & Planning—These folks will literally open doors for you after hours and set up any GSU space. And they take care of special electrical needs.
- Catering on the Charles—You need not fear the hungry hordes. After all, feeding them is no problem with BU’s on-campus caterer.
- Student Production Services (SPS)—Whether you just need an easel for a poster or a whole dance floor, SPS has you covered in the GSU and beyond.
- Classroom Technology Services—The name says it all. Chat with an activities consultant to get set up.
- Parking & Transportation Services—Parking on campus can be quite a hunt. Spare special guests and others the traffic hazards with event-day parking passes.
- Boston University Police Department (BUPD)—There are times when extra precautions are called for, such as large crowds, high-profile guests, and contentious topics. BUPD can be on the scene to keep things safe for everyone.