Advisors are essential to our groups: to register and maintain official status, each Commonwealth and Brookline organization are required to have an advisor who is a full-time exempt staff member at BU.
You and the members of your organization will determine your level of involvement, but there are some minimum requirements all advisors must meet.
- Act as a resource to officers and members of the organization in a non-classroom environment.
- Serve as the liaison between incoming, outgoing, and current group officers and BU administration for operational stability and continuity.
- Act as a chaperone to supervise your group’s programs or projects as deemed necessary by Student Activities.
- Sign off on appropriate forms implying knowledge of the organization’s activities and fiscal status—but not assuming fiscal responsibility.
- Sign paperwork for any program or transaction exceeding $200.00, but only for advisors of governments, residence hall associations (Brookline), groups .
- In some instances, Student Activities may require an organization’s advisor to have certain certifications or professional licenses when the nature of the organization makes such certification or licensing necessary.