Advisors are essential to our groups: to register and maintain official status, each organization is required to have an advisor who is a full-time exempt staff member at BU.
You and the members of your organization will determine your level of involvement, but there are some minimum requirements all advisors must meet.
- Act as a resource to officers and members of the organization in a non-classroom environment.
- Serve as the liaison between incoming, outgoing, and current group officers and BU administration for operational stability and continuity.
- Act as a chaperone to supervise your group’s programs or projects as deemed necessary by Student Activities.
- Sign appropriate forms implying knowledge of the organization’s activities and fiscal status—but not assuming fiscal responsibility.
- Sign paperwork for any program or transaction exceeding $1,000, with the exception of advisors of governments, residence hall associations (RHAs), groups receiving direct BU funding, and organizations that publish journals, who must sign paperwork for any program or transaction in excess of $200.
- In some instances, Student Activities may require an organization’s advisor to have certain certifications or professional licenses when the nature of the organization makes such certification or licensing necessary.