- What does a ResNet subscription provide?
- Will I need to use the wired network?
- How much does it cost to subscribe to ResNet?
- How do I subscribe to ResNet?
- How do I unsubscribe from ResNet?
- What happens if I unsubscribe from ResNet?
- What if I waive the fee?
- Can I receive full or partial credit for the fee if I terminate my subscription or withdraw from the housing system before the Spring Semester?
- Will I be charged the full ResNet fee if I’m a resident only during the Spring Semester?
- Can I share a friend’s or roommate’s ResNet subscription instead of establishing my own?
- Will guests be able to use ResNet?
- Can I subscribe to ResNet if I’m a Summer Term resident?
- Who should I contact if I have other questions about subscribing to ResNet?
For network activities that require higher capacity, such as large file transfers and video, the wired network provides a better experience.
In addition, because of the requirement to use 802.1x authentication on the wireless network, some devices will need to connect to a wired jack for network access. For example, some printers, internet phones and gaming consoles are not capable of authenticating via 802.1x, so you would need to connect them to the wired network. Even if these devices do work via wireless elsewhere, they will not work via wireless in BU residences if they are not capable of authenticating via 802.1x. (To determine whether your device is capable of authenticating with 802.1x, please check product documentation or information available via the web.)
Also note that you will only be provided with one wired jack per resident. If you wish to use multiple devices, you may need to use an Ethernet hub.
The price per subscriber for ResNet service is $332 per year.
Students assigned to on-campus residences will be automatically subscribed to ResNet for a fee of $332.
If you do not have any computers or devices that require network access, you can unsubscribe from ResNet using one these options:
- Student Link. Starting at the main menu, select Money Matters, then ResNet Fee Waiver. Note that a BU login name and Kerberos password is required to access the system.
- Contact Student Accounting Services at 617-353-2264 to decline the ResNet subscription.
If you unsubscribe from ResNet, you should no longer connect any computers or devices to the wired or wireless networks in BU residence halls. You will be unable to access the wired residence hall network, and your use of either network (wired or wireless) will be a violation of the Computing Ethics policy.
If you waive the fee, you should not use ResNet wired and wireless services. If you later determine that you need ResNet, you can subscribe at any time – simply connect your computer to the wired jack and you will be prompted to go through the subscription process. You can also subscribe online.
Can I receive full or partial credit for the fee if I terminate my subscription or withdraw from the housing system before the Spring Semester?
You must waive your ResNet subscription on or before the payment deadline for the semester in order for your student account to be credited.
Students who become residents during the Spring Semester will be charged $166 to subscribe to ResNet—half the annual fee.
No. When you subscribe to ResNet, you are establishing a connection between your BU login name and your use of the BU residential network.
Guests may connect to the BU (Guest) wireless network or connect to the wired network. To connect to the wired network, your guest should follow the normal NetReg process – connect the computer to the network jack and register the computer or device when prompted. In both cases, you will need to assist your guest, and be accountable for their use of the network, by providing your BU login name and Kerberos password as the sponsor.
ResNet fees are waived for all Summer Term residents; there is no need to subscribe.
Please contact Student Accounting Services at 617-353-2264 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.