Staff Accountant, General Board of Church and Society, DC
Position Opening: Staff Accountant
The General Board of Church and Society of The United Methodist Church is the presence of the church on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. GBCS is tasked with implementing the Social Principles, which contain stances taken on social and political issues by The United Methodist Church. The 2012 Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church states that GBCS “shall show the members of the Church and the society that the reconciliation that God effected through Christ involves personal, social, and civic righteousness….(and will) inform, motivate, train, organize, and build networks for action toward social justice throughout society, particularly on the specific issues prioritized by the board.”
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Staff Accountant is an integral member of GBCS’s finance team. The Staff Accountant has the responsibility of performing functions related to various aspects of the general ledger, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. This position also supports special projects as requested by the Director of Finance.
1. Oversee accounts payable process and serve as backup for Accounting Assistant
2. Manage Business Travel credit card accounts
3. Process billing and maintain AR files
4. Maintain fixed asset database
5. Create and ensure proper depreciation schedules
6. Reconcile payroll entries
7. Maintain general ledger and reconcile G/L accounts
8. Generate and distribute monthly financial reports to management
9. Perform year end closing
10. Assist Director of Finance with annual audit preparation
11. Other duties as assigned.
The staff accountant will report to the Director of Finance.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 5 years experience in accounting required
- Must have recent experience in Great Plains
- Knowledge of full accounting cycle
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with persons at all levels and in diverse groups and communities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities with a proficiency in problem solving with attention to detail
- Hard worker that is self- motivated, must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, Quick books and Great Plains
- Good oral and written communication.
- Must be able to work effectively with a team, while demonstrating initiative.
- Must be able to work full-time in Washington, DC, no paid relocation.
Annual salary in the 60K range with benefits, 22 days of paid vacation, sick and personal leave, comprehensive medical, dental and accidental-death insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a full-time exempt position
The General Board of Church and Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Procedure and Deadline:
To apply applicants must submit a cover letter and resume with salary history by March 13, 2015. Incomplete applicant information will not be considered.
No agencies please
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The General Board of Church and Society
Attn: Ms. Frances J. Roberts, AGS Administration/Human Resources
100 Maryland Ave. NE #224
Washington, DC 20002-5625