Interim Director of Religious Education, Salem, MA
Interim Director of Religious Education, First Church in Salem, Unitarian Universalist
Reports to: Minister
Open until filled
Hours: Part-time 20-30 hours (negotiable)
Who we are: Gathered by the Puritans of Massachusetts Bay Colony in August 1629, the First Church in Salem, Unitarian Universalist is one of the oldest Protestant churches founded in North America and the first to be governed by congregational polity. We are a Liberal Christian congregation, espousing the values of freedom, reason, and tolerance.
The Director of Religious Education is to lead and coordinate religious education (RE) instruction for children in the First Church RE program, particularly on Sunday mornings. The Director will help maintain a solid and vital religious education program that encourages the development of values, provides knowledge about our faith, religions of the world, and lessons of the Bible as well as other sacred texts. Above all, the program authentically engages our children and their families.
The position reports to the minister but is employed by the Standing Committee, as are all staff of the church. The RE Director is a salaried position at 27 hours per week running approximately August 15 through June 30. Weekly schedule is determined by the minister and RE Director, including vacation time.
- Ensures weekly religious education classes for children ages kindergarten through 8th grade following the basic principles of Unitarian Universalism and Safe Congregation guidelines.
- Researches, schedules and plans curricula for the school year providing coherent and thematically consistent
- Participates in master planning, worship and programming planning, and social justice initiatives.
- In consultation with the minister, plans and participates in the weekly Time for All Ages.
- Supports minister and RE programs on Sundays.
- Supports and coordinates special activities including the Christmas pageant, holiday programming, multigenerational services, “all ages” events, and supervises volunteers.
- Maintains church school related records and files; i.e. attendance records and child care provider
- Purchases and maintains church school supplies and
- Prepares monthly article for church newsletter and weekly email to participating families.
- Teaches Sunday class/es on an as-needed basis.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility that will be required of an employee in this position. Therefore, additional duties may be assigned.
Schedule and supervise weekly child care workers and RE program volunteers
- Interpersonal Skills: Engages people positively, take direction and criticism, and work on a team. Interact positively with the public in a busy building, and positively represent the church at all times, serving all people, regardless of race, gender or sexual identity or
- Team Skills: Collaborative and communicates effectively with others. Ability to work cooperatively with committees, other staff, and the Ability to supervise and manage staff and volunteers
- Professional Skills: Detail oriented, shows initiative, able to solve problems given general direction, consistent and careful, reliable and flexible. Discretion, judgment, common sense,
- Written communication
- Verbal communication
- Organizational skills
- Time management
- Project management
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher, prefer education or divinity concentration and LREDA credentials.
- Experience: 3+years in a similar position
- Skills: Supervisory and management experience.
- Requires residence in commuting distance of the church
The physical demands are those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Occasional lifting up to twenty
- Able to move freely around the building
- Must be able to interact with children on their level, including on the floor or low chairs.
We provide a salary and benefits package commensurate with education, training, and experience, and in accordance with UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines.
The First Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Rev. Elizabeth Marsh Ide: email@example.com