Director of Faith Formation, UCC: Little Compton, RI
The United Congregational Church of Little Compton is searching for a Director of Faith Formation and Outreach (DFO) to plan, implement, and oversee a rich variety of programs and events that engage youth and adults (ages 13 and up) in exploring and deepening their faith and its lived expression in the world. We are seeking someone with energy and creativity who is committed to the Christian faith and is able to authentically share that faith in a way that encourages the faith of others. The person in this flexible part-time position (15-20 hours a week) will report to the Senior Minister and be supported by a team of volunteers.
• Actively reach out and engage with families of high school aged youth, meeting them where they are and supporting them to grow in their faith
• Create spiritually engaging programming throughout the year with hands-on, thematically appropriate activities, events, and service opportunities for each stage of life (13 and up)
• Assist the Pastor and Director of Children and Youth Ministries in planning, coordinating and co-leading Confirmation for 8th and 9th graders
• Plan and lead an annual Service Trip that helps our youth develop their sense of Christian compassion and global responsibility by better understanding the complexities of poverty and economic inequality, both domestically and abroad
• Intentionally build community partners around shared missions and create opportunities for hands-on outreach, service, learning, and spiritual growth. This will include local, semi-local (i.e. Fall River), and distance opportunities (Mission Trips, spiritual pilgrimages, etc).
• Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers to support ministries of faith formation and community outreach.
• Work collaboratively with the Director of Children and Youth Ministries to coordinate programs and initiatives around common themes and curricular goals to assure the two programs offer continuity of faith learning and experiences across ages.
• Communicate effectively and in a timely manner to the youth, families, volunteers, and broader congregation; promote all programs, activities and events using a variety of available media and resources
• Actively engage in the life of our congregation and the local community and prioritize community service/engagement in programming for children and families
• Coordinate with the Office Staff about event scheduling, communications, and maintenance of records for church school and youth group families; help prepare the annual children and youth ministries budget and Annual Report
• Assure that the Safe Church Policy requirements are up to date and communicated and followed.
• Stay current with new research and resources for faith formation and community engagement: attend seminars or training events, network with other educators to keep up with trends in religious education
• Focus on active retention of youth, young adults, and new members of all ages, reaching out one on one, celebrating milestones, praying with and for them, and helping imagine and implement programs that deepen faith and give people a ‘next step’ for becoming part of our community once they are through Church doors
Qualifications, Traits and Experience:
• Spiritual maturity with a commitment to the Christian faith and to fostering a safe and supportive community for youth and adults of all ages and with all backgrounds and abilities to deepen their relationship with God
• Excellent communication skills and an understanding of and commitment to furthering the church’s mission
• Demonstrated ability to work well with youth and adults of all ages, and to plan, coordinate, implement and manage programs effectively and creatively
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to be a team player both in the church and beyond our walls, working well with volunteers and staff, community partners, and effectively managing conflict
• Education in the Christian faith or commensurate experience
• Adaptable and creative in addressing the rapidly changing landscape of church
• Adept at using a broad array of modern technology for research, teaching and communication, including social media platforms.
To apply for this position please send a letter of interest with resume to Tom Schmitt, head of Personnel at email@example.com, or by mail to:
c/o Tom Schmitt, UCCLC Personnel Committee
PO Box 506
Little Compton, RI 02837
For more information about the position, please call 508-636-3932.
For more information and the full job description, click here: DirectorOfFaithFormationLC