By Christopher Broadwell
GBOD| United Methodist Church Job Announcement
The General Board of Discipleship is seeking the right person for our vacancy of
- · Accounting Assistant
The deadline for receiving applications is May 7, 2014.
If you or someone you know might be interested in this position please visit our website at
The General Board of Discipleship is an Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/D/V EOE.
Associate Pastor for Children’s Spiritual Formation and Pastoral Care (Part time position – 20 Hours/week)
Hope Central Church is a faith community for believers, questioners and questioning believers. We value on-going spiritual formation for all ages and want to provide thoughtful, meaningful experiences for our children.
Hope Central Church is looking for a person of faith who feels called to minister to our young people in our Spiritual Formation program. This Associate Pastor (AP) will be the leader of our Sunday School program for our children, teachers and volunteers, directing the lead teachers during morning and evening worship. The Associate Pastor will have his/her own portfolio of responsibilities, and will be accountable to the Senior Pastor for purposes of the larger congregational vision and job performance. The Pastoral Team will be collaborative, tending to all the ministries of the congregation.
The Associate Pastor will -
- be familiar with or gain familiarity with the Godly Play approach to children’s spiritual formation,
- be familiar with or gain familiarity with two or three curricula for children’s spiritual development and the ability to adapt for our purposes a plus.
- enjoy putting together age appropriate lesson plans from varied sources
- oversee and inventory Sunday School supplies and Godly Play materials
- recruit, encourage, support and supervise the Sunday School teachers and volunteers
- train and coordinate the parent/volunteers
- help organize new classes and teachers as we grow into that need
- help negotiate and maintain Sunday School spaces, and be physically able to set up flexible space for children’s church
- must be able to lift 30 lbs, move and arrange tables/chairs, and perform other physical activities needed to keep kids safe
- report to and be supported by the Senior Pastor, and be supported by the Education team
- lead the development and implementation of Safe Church policies
- stay abreast of new thinking/curriculum in Christian Education
The Associate Pastor will also provide pastoral care for the congregation and will provide opportunities for the Pastoral Staff to contribute to the Children’s Sunday School. The Associate Pastor will participate in the worship life of the congregation, preaching monthly, celebrating communion, performing baptisms/dedications, marriages, and funerals as appropriate. The Associate Pastor will serve other Teams of the church as appropriate for skill and interest. The AP will maintain ties to the congregation’s denominational bodies, participate in communities of practice, and participate in the congregation’s public ministry as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- have an M.Div. from an accredited seminary
- this is an ordainable position; Hope Central is seeking ordained or ordainable persons, UCC or DOC preferred
- is creative, flexible, and relates well with children
- has experience working with children
- is a strong communicator
- is both self directed and works well as part of a team
- is organized
The AP will work 20 hours per week, will be paid a total compensation package of $35-$37K per year. The first year’s pay will be prorated per date of hire. The AP will receive a total of 3 weeks combined vacation/study paid leave. The AP may arrange with the pastoral team to be away for church related professional meetings.
Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send resume, cover letter and a one-page essay to email@example.com. Deadline for submission is May 1, 2014.
Please include in the one-page essay, the following: 1. Describe any experience you’ve had in the development of a child’s or children’s spiritual formation 2. Describe your spiritual practices 3. Describe why you think you are called to Hope Central Church.
Contact: Carla Imperial, Search Committee Chair
Address: 85 Seaverns Ave., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Wesley United Methodist Church,
114 Main Street, Worcester MA
JOB POSTING & DESCRIPTION
INTERIM Sunday School Superintendent
April 1, 2014 to July 1, 2014
Wesley United Methodist Church is seeking an Interim Sunday School Superintendent. The position is part-time (10hours/week) with primary responsibilities on Sunday mornings.
PURPOSE: The Sunday School Superintendent coordinates and facilitates the smooth running of the Sunday School program to ensure that children who attend come to know the Biblical faith in a safe, friendly, welcoming environment where all may experience the love of God and be spiritually nurtured. An understanding of, and respect for, the faith and inclusive values of our church community are of critical importance, as is team work.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Sunday School Superintendent is accountable to Staff Parish Relations Committee, works under the supervision of the Pastor with budgetary and reporting accountability to the Christian Education Committee and Church Business Administrator, and work collaboratively with all other staff.
1) Provide oversight for a safe and secure environment, (in compliance with safe sanctuary policies soon to be established.)
2) Be present and prepared each Sunday morning before and after Sunday School to greet, support and encourage children, parents and teachers.
3) Meet with Christian Education committee/team for planning and evaluating the Sunday School program.
4) Supervise and manage Sunday School teachers in the performance of their duties and be prepared to teach in their absence, and equip and support teachers in using curriculum and other resources
5) Supervises and supports Child Care Providers and Assistants.
6) Organize, maintain, and purchase Sunday School supplies and curriculum.
7) Responsible to coordinate and supervise Vacation Bible School program.
8) Collect offerings and maintain attendance records.
9) Submit articles for the bi-weekly Herald with information about the Sunday School program.
10) Work collaboratively with the Pastor, Directors of Music, other worship staff and planning committee to help design child friendly worship experiences.
11) Attends monthly Church Council meetings, prepares and presents reports to Church Council, and participates in planning special events.
OTHER TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1) The Sunday School Superintendent position is a part-time position (10hrs/wk).
2) Compensation package will be determined by the Staff Parish Relations Committe.
The Center for Career Development and Ministry (www.ccdmin.org) in Dedham, Massachusetts is seeking a pastoral counselor, preferably LMHC or LMFT, to work with clergy in transition and with candidates who are pursuing ordination to the ministry. We have served the vocational discernment needs of church personnel for over 40 years, employing a two-day program model that is holistic in nature. Spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and psychological aspects are discussed. Our clinicians help clients reflect upon their faith perspective, temperament, self-management, resilience, interpersonal skills, and leadership ability from the perspectives of family systems theory, developmental theory, and emotional intelligence. Our model generates extensive objective data from a psychometric panel. The program helps identify personal style, motivating values, preferred skills and capacities, developmental challenges, and particular issues that might influence effectiveness in ministry work. To apply, please contact Dr. Douglas Wheeler at 781.329.2100 or <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Director of Religious Education; Devon, PA
At Main Line Unitarian Church, religious education for all ages is an essential part of our ministry. The Director of Religious Education oversees the programming from birth to high-school graduation. We seek to provide age-appropriate classes and activities that engage our children and youth in the rich history and courageous future of Unitarian Universalism.
Send cover letter and résumé by May 10, 2014 to: email@example.com
Click the link below to read more information.
Director of Youth Ministries
We are seeking an inspirational, passionate, and creative part-time Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) to lead two thriving, progressive, Open and Affirming churches in a combined youth ministry.
The DYM works with youth outside of the Christian education program with a primary focus on high school youth. The candidate will continue to foster and grow a community of faith, guidance, community involvement, and spiritual activism. The DYM must have a passion for working with youth, experience facilitating youth development, performing and organizing community outreach, developing and participating in mission work, and ministering to the youth and their supporting adults. The DYM will encourage youth participation in local, state, and national UCC youth events. S/he will work closely with the pastors and staff and will have a presence in both congregations.
Candidates interested in becoming part of a team of two dynamic, growing churches should send a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references via email toWoodstockDYMsearch@gmail.com by May 15, 2014.
To learn more about our congregations, please explore the First Congregational Church of Woodstock and East Woodstock Congregational Church websites, and review the fullDYM Job Description. We look forward to hearing from you!
Edwards Church, Framingham, MA
Director of Christian Education
Salary: $11,500-$13,000 Dependent on experience. Position requires an average of 12 hours per week during the church school year and 6 hours per week mid- June through mid- August.
Our Christian Education mission statement:
At Edwards Church, faith is a journey, not a destination. Our Christian Education program is based on the belief that each person is gifted by God. All are welcomed with open hearts and open minds into a safe and judgment free environment. Faith is developed through relationships (peer to peer and intergenerational), biblical stories and mission oriented experiences in the church, local and global community. Our goal: we each develop a faith that will carry us through life.
We are an Open and Affirming Congregation of the United Church of Christ with a commitment to social justice. We are seeking a creative individual with the ability to foster intergenerational relationships and lead the Board of Christian Education as we continue to live out our mission in new ways. An individual should possess the following attributes:
- Has education experience and ability
- Has a deep faith
- Enjoys working with teenagers and children of all abilities
- Proactive in reaching out to church families
- Is open to a variety of spiritual practices
- Enjoys developing intergenerational worship programs
- Has an appreciation of the values of the United Church of Christ
- Has a sense of humor
Part-Time Position (15 hours per week)
Massachusetts Baptist Multicultural Ministries (MBMM) seeks an experienced Development Officer with a track-record of fundraising success and a passion for our mission. The Development Officer will provide vision, leadership and results in order to increase Massachusetts Baptist Multicultural Ministries’ success in fundraising. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Officer will work with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. We are seeking someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a highly dedicated organization.
Massachusetts Baptist Multicultural Ministries is a four-year-old start-up organization. The mission of the organization is to build intercultural relationships by sensitizing and celebrating rich cultural, ethnic and national diversity. The organization provides cultural adjustment and multicultural training and appropriate support and assistance to refugees, other New Americans, churches, civic bodies and community-based organizations. We are reaching out to over 10,000 people each year, including new immigrants and refugees in the greater Boston area and Lynn, Lowell, Worcester, and Springfield. Today MBMM is a mission-driven organization with a $300,000 budget. We provide services which include training on cultural adjustment to community leaders and church leaders, networking with newly established refugee communities and providing assistance in job coaching, case management, etc. We also conduct an annual conference and festival to promote intercultural relations with the MBMM vision of “Weaving God’s Love across Cultures.”
Reports to: Executive Director
- Build a variety of fundraising programs including major gifts, online donations, planned giving, corporate giving, direct mail and special events
- Engage and cultivate current donors including individuals, congregations and corporate funders
- Write donor and other supporting correspondence
- Cultivate funding relationships with new prospects including individuals, congregations, corporate funders and foundations
- Manage and maintain relationships with individual and institutional funders
- Research grant opportunities, write proposals, and provide program updates to funders
Strategy and Planning:
- Create and execute a multi-year development and communications plan
- Track and report on development outcomes on a quarterly basis
- Create donor database for the organization to track donor and prospect information
- Lead routine development operations including sending letters of acknowledgement to donors and maintenance of the database to track contacts, major campaigns and received revenues
- Oversee public relations efforts to promote and raise awareness about the organization events and programs
- Collaborate with MBMM staff to manage, design and develop MBMM promotional materials including brochures, flyers, event invitations, program reports, and annual reports
- Maintain and manage relationships with media and other public relations outlets
- Manage MBMM’s presence through Constant Contact, Twitter, Facebook, website, and other strategically relevant online resources
- Oversee planning, marketing and logistics of MBMM events to help ensure that revenue goals are met
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MA preferred
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in development, including 1- 2 years of non-profit development/fundraising experience
- A track record of successful development work, including a proven ability to create a comprehensive development strategy, and to set and meet ambitious fundraising goals
- Demonstrated passion for promoting multicultural relations, social justice, empowerment, and service learning
- Comprehensive knowledge and proven results in creating and managing annual appeals, major gifts, online donations, and planned giving
- Proven results in developing strong, positive relationships with individual donors, foundations, businesses, and non-profit agencies
- Ability to articulate organizational mission, niche, programmatic advances and return on investment to key donor audiences
- Outstanding written communication skills and grant writing experience
- Experience leveraging social media resources to expand base of supporters and maintain strong relationships
- Strong MS Office Skills required; experience using a standard fundraising platform a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Excellent management skills and ability to handle multiple priorities
Salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with experience.
For immediate consideration, submit the following:
1. letter of interest
Massachusetts Baptist Multicultural Ministries
Development Officer Position
230 Herrick Road
Newton, MA 02459
Email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Development Officer” in the subject line
Deadline: May 2, 2014
No phone calls, please.
Massachusetts Baptist Multicultural Ministries is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Do you feel a strong call to work with those experiencing homelessness (whether
temporarily or chronically) in Boston? To join a dedicated team of pastors, artists,
and volunteers whose mission is to sustain a supportive ecumenical community with
unhoused persons? To provide hope and add structure by being a ministry of presence;
and to assure each person that he/she is a child of God, loved by God, worthy in the
eyes of God?
If this sounds like you (or someone you know), then please consider applying, as
appropriate, for either of these positions:
• Executive Director. (32 hours/week). The successful candidate will be
responsible for executive management of all non-clerical/non-pastoral matters
related to the operation of common cathedral*, the first outdoor Ecclesia Ministry,
founded in Boston twenty years ago. The ED will lead and support our care team,
providing clear, consistent and tender administrative and organizational support
to the organization and its people. In addition the ED will be a charismatic
face of the ministry, interacting effectively with its donor base of individuals,
churches and foundations; engaging in development activities; and carrying the
message of common cathedral to grow visibility for this ministry, which is wholly
dependent on outside donations. Qualifications include: a strong call to serve
this community; exceptional inter-personal and organizational skills; experience
in working with faith communities; demonstrated training and experience in not-
for-profit management, fundraising and development. Pluses include the ability to
speak Spanish or Portuguese, in addition to English; and an MDiv degree from
an accredited institution. Ordination is not required.
• Associate Street Minister. (32 hours/week). As part of our pastoral care team,
the successful candidate will meet people on the streets, in hospital, in jail,
accompanying persons to court and to other meetings – offering support and
care as appropriate. The Street Minister will also be part of the team rotation
for outdoor worship; will help provide pastoral care and support at our indoor
programs (common art, Bible study and reflection, Friday flicks); and will help
supervise or assist staff and guests at our City Reach program. You may
also be asked to assist with program coordination; volunteer recruitment and
supervision; building partnerships with service providers, other urban ministries
and agencies; or representing common cathedral before housed congregations
or at other events. The successful applicant must have earned an MDiv from
an accredited seminary program – must be ordained – and must feel called
to work ecumenically and across faith traditions. Experience in working
with persons struggling with addictions or mental health issues is preferred. The
ability to communicate in Spanish or Portuguese, as well as in English, is a plus.
For more detailed information, and to apply, please contact our Board Chair, Rev.
Stephen Voysey: email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
United Methodist Communications /UMC.org
Position Title: UMC.org Website Content Manager
Basic Purpose: We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with experience and skills in web content
management, writing and editing for the web, and site management for the denominational website of The United Methodist
Church, UMC.org. This position is responsible for developing the voice for the online presence to engage various audiences such
as church members and leaders with the goal of increasing site traffic and engagement. Ensures content is written to guide the
daily spiritual lives of people, and to promote church beliefs and initiatives. Working with the UMC.org editorial team, this position
develops story and article ideas, and writes, edits and builds them on the Content Management System for publishing on the
website. The website content manger collaborates with other internal and external partners to provide connection with ministries
of the UMC. The content manager also participates in conversations on the site when website visitors are engaging.
• A degree in theology or divinity school training is preferred, but not required. At least, two –years’ experience
developing and managing content for faith-based or non-profit organization websites is required. Some experience
with congregational leadership, connecting people with ministry is preferred.
• Advanced copy editing skills with attention to detail is required. Content development in multiple digital formats
(audio, video, slideshows etc.) is a plus.
• SEO knowledge is important. Basic knowledge of HTML and experience with popular content management
systems (Expression Engine, WordPress etc.) is preferred.
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and flexibility to address trending
events and breaking news is crucial.
• Experience with image editing programs (ie: Photo Shop, Illustrator, In Design) is preferred.
• Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team and strong relationship-
building skills are necessary.
• Exceptional communication skills are required. Blog experience is a plus.
• Base salary (Call HR to inquire.)
• Regular Full-time Position (L13)
• Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, and Dependent Life Insurance
• Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
• Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
• Retirement/Pension Plan /Personal Investment Plans
• Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care
• Paid Holidays (eleven annually)
• Paid Vacation / Paid Sick Leave and Personal Leave
• Continuing Education
• Free Parking
To apply or for more information contact: UMCom/Human Resources, P. O. Box 320 (810-12th Ave. S. Nash 37203), Nashville, TN 37202-0320, Phone: 615-742-5137 Fax: 615-742-5428, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply please provide the following:
Cover Letter → Resume → Application Form → References → Work Sample