Theology-Social Work Dual Degrees

The three dual degree programs of the School of Theology and the School of Social Work (MDIV/MSW) (MTS/MSW) (DMIN/MSW) are designed for students who wish to combine the knowledge and disciplines of theology and ministry with those of social work.

To be admitted to one of the dual degree programs, a student must meet the entrance requirements of each School. MDiv/MSW and MTS/MSW require a 3.0 GPA.  DMin/MSW requires a Master of Divinity degree with a minimum 3.3 GPA and the results of either the Miller Analogies Test or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). An application expressing the clear intent to engage in the dual degree program may be submitted to both Schools at the same time. If the student is already enrolled in one of the Schools, he or she must obtain permission from the “parent” School—in the School of Social Work, see the Assistant Dean; in the School of Theology, see the Registrar and the Director of Admissions.

Normally, it takes three years (full-time) and one summer to complete the requirements for the Master of Social Work (MSW) and Master of Theological Studies (MTS). The Master of Social Work (MSW) and the Master of Divinity (MDiv) dual degree can be completed in as little as four years (full-time). The DMin/MSW generally requires three and a half to four years of study to complete, with a maximum of six years allowed. Plans of study for each degree can found:




Normally the student registers in an equal number of semesters in each School. Students should begin their program with one full year at the School of Theology. Students pay the tuition of the School in which they are registered. School of Theology Aid is possible for qualified STH students for up to 3 years depending on their degree program. Given the substantial difference in the cost of tuition at the two Schools, a student from the School of Theology should anticipate significantly higher costs for those semesters when the majority of credits are from the School of Social Work.

Advanced credit or advanced standing will not be granted for this program. Work taken at another graduate institution before admission to the dual degree program will not count toward completion of a degree.