Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church David H. C. Read Preacher/Scholar Award
Deadline: January 31, 2013
Description: This annual award honoring the Madison Avenue Church’s former Senior Minister, The Rev. Dr. David H.C. Read (1910-2001), was established by the congregation of Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church to help develop talented preachers for the future by recognizing excellence among third year seminarians who show outstanding promise as preachers and scholars and are committed to entering parish ministry.
- Must be registered at a member school of the Association of Theological Schools in the U.S. and Canada, in good standing there, and currently in the third (final) year of a Master of Divinity (MDIV) degee program.
- Only two students may be nominated by each member school each year. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the nomination of his or her school.
- Up to four finalists will be chosen; The winner will receive $20,000; Remaining finalists will receive $1,000 each.
- The award must be used by the winner personally, and cannot be donated to another individual or organization. The award may also be accepted on an honorary or partly honorary basis if desired.
- Please be sure to submit the Award Application sheet with all your other application materials. Your application will not be considered if the Award Application sheet or any other required materials are missing.
To apply: www.mapc.com
- Letter of Recommendation from two faculty members.
- A curriculum vitae
- An official transcript and notice from the seminary Registrar certifying that the candidate is one of not more than two nominees from the school
- Two sermons, one Old Testament-based and one New Testament-based, with each sermon as both printed text and an audio recording made before a live congregation, on CD, CD-R, or CD-RW media. [The audio files should be cda files, but mp3 will be accepted. DO NOT send video files or links to audio files stored on the internet; they will be disqualified.]
- Concise exegetical papers (not more than 1,000 words in length on the biblical text on which each sermon is based
- A biographical statement
- A statement describing the candidate’s plans after graduating from seminary
- A statement indicating how the candidate plans to use the award money to further his or her abilities as a preacher/scholar.
Contact Dr. David Schnasa Jacobsen with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-353-7322.
Last Updated: 12/6/2013