The Higgins Scholarship was established to support professional leadership in the church.
Criteria for granting scholarships:
- Awards will be made on the basis of potential for ministry, ecclesiastical connection, plan of study, and financial need.
- Priority is given to full or half-time students under the care of the Chicago Presbytery who are in seminary or in a Ph.D. program in a ministry related field.
- The minimum scholarship will be $2,000 for an academic year and the maximum $5,000. Awards may be made for a second year if an application is filed.
- Awards are available after the completion of one year of seminary or other graduate study.
- The deadline for applications is March 31 of the given year. Awards will be announced by June 1. The recipient’s seminary will be issued a check by the beginning of the academic year.
- The Higgins Committee may consult with the Commission on Preparation for Ministry