Director of Senior High and College Ministries, Boston Avenue UMC, Tulsa, OK
Director of Senior High and College Ministries
Boston Avenue United Methodist Church
Date: July 2, 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Job Type: Full-time
Category: Ministry, Youth
The Director of Senior High and College Ministries builds disciples for Christ by developing/implementing best practices for youth ministry. Areas include theological education, discipleship training, regular participation in worship, mission and justice work, fellowship as a Christian community, building healthy relationships, leadership development and serving as a role model and vital component for growth of youth in the 9th through 12th grades, along with their families, as well as students attending college. The Director should strive to inculcate in the youth a heart for missions, an intellect for the tenets of the United Methodist and Boston Avenue Church faith, a love for working/socializing appropriately alongside other members of the faith community and energy to strive to make the world a better place for all God’s children. The position works independently on many of these tasks, but will also work as a team with other members of the staff and congregation to implement education strategies for each age range along the Christian life continuum.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop and implement a balanced youth and college ministry (including connecting members of the group, worship, mission, justice & discipleship), utilizing most current methods and education techniques.
- Maintain positive relationships with youth, families and college students, encouraging each youth/student to become the best version of themselves.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with youth, families, students and volunteers regarding activities, events, supplies, plans, prayer and care needs through use of most current communication methods, such as texts, emails, internet, digital newsletters, social media which includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, phone calls and The Word (church newsletter).
- Recruit, train and maintain a volunteer base to assist with activities/events such as Sunday School, hospitality, DTBA (Wednesday evening youth group), missions, social events, special events and camp. Activities and events should avoid the use of gender based programming.
- Plan, implement and develop appropriate camp offerings and camp participation for Senior High youth. Certain camps will require attendance by the Senior High Minister.
- Provide effective and empathetic pastoral care to youth, students and families as needed.
- Create opportunities for leadership development in the youth and students as appropriate and as desired.
- Design curriculum for Sunday School and other offerings which serves to clarify United Methodist and Boston Avenue beliefs, preparing youth to live faith-filled lives after high school.
- Work effectively and efficiently at all times as a productive and congenial member of the Education Team and the entire church staff.
- Work effectively with Special Needs Director to support and include ministries and activities for youth and families of all abilities and types.
- Provide appropriate, respectful and supportive supervision of staff members assigned to the Senior High and College Minister as well as any congregational or community volunteers.
- Engage in leadership of congregation through public speaking and relating to all age groups and demographics with emphasis on youth and families.
- Direct and oversee work areas and church committees as requested by Executive Director.
- Absorb and fulfill additional responsibilities as requested by Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field of theological training, religious education, education or childhood development.
- Masters’ degree in theological education is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in working as hands-on director of programming, education and activities for youth or children.
- Belief in the tenets and theology of United Methodist Church, as well as support for and adherence to the beliefs and practices of Boston Avenue Church.
- Familiarity with current events and social issues as related to faith.
- Church membership will be required upon acceptance of the position.
- Strong technological skills utilizing most current platforms and options.
- Ability to comply with schedule which will include weekday work as well as significant programming on Sundays and Wednesday nights, along with sporadic programming on other evenings.
- Strong communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to relate, interact and engage well with youth and college students
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and volunteers and as a team member
- Time management and the ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Ability to supervise support staff appropriately
- Ability to budget and manage money
- Versatile interpersonal skills to engage youth and students with different personality types (patient, understanding, calming, dynamic, intellectually challenging)
- Skilled in faith formation
- Skilled in event planning and management of a large, very diverse calendar extending one year in advance
- Excellent with conflict resolution and appropriate response in any/all crisis circumstances
- Collaborative, flexible, creative, attentive to detail and a self-starter
Description of Organization:
Boston Avenue is a large United Methodist Church in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma. Our mission is to think deeply, grow spiritually and love generously. We live out that mission through thought-provoking sermons and small groups, fellowship with others, and active volunteering in ministries that support education, social justice and mental health. As a staff and as a congregation, it is important to us to ask tough questions, discover how Christianity best applies to life in today’s society, and strive to understand and support all members of the diverse community and world around us.
Position Reports To: Executive Director
Hours and Salary: Full time, may include evening and weekend events. Salary based on education and experience
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.