Christian Formation Coordinator, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Jamaica Plain
Job Description: Christian Formation Coordinator
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Jamaica Plain is hiring a part-time Christian Formation Coordinator to nurture and grow our faith formation offerings for our children and families. We are a small but vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive parish. The Christian Formation Coordinator is a key part of our ministry team, working for the rector and serving the parish, and through the parish, serving the wider community. The ideal candidate has a positive, can-do approach, communicates well both in written and oral forms, is a skilled organizer and planner, and is able to work independently.
St. John’s Church is a eucharistically-based faith community of neighbors and families celebrating different understandings of the Christian faith within the Episcopal Church. As we attempt to live out our call to be the body of Christ in the world, we strive to be a beacon of justice-seeking and creativity, and to honor St. Benedict’s teaching: “Let all who enter here be received as Christ.” Located in the vibrant Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, we are part of a diverse, welcoming and exciting community. Average Sunday worship at St. John’s attendance is 60+ people in the program year, 30 in the summer months, with approximately 150 active members of all ages.
- Recruit and equip team of Church School teachers; includes coordinating training of adults to teach
- Set out lessons in partnership with formation team, including participating in regular meetings with Church School teachers and volunteers
- Fill in as teacher when needed in Church School classes
- Coordinate acquisition and maintenance of Church School curriculum, teaching materials and supplies
- In partnership with the rector, oversee the use of the Church School budget and funds
- Coordinate maintenance of activity boxes and children’s shelves in the narthex
- Communicate regularly with families about lessons, activities, schedules, etc.
- Help coordinate First Friday Parish Family Nights, including promoting and inviting parishioners to the events and the planning and leading of activities
- Coordinate childcare providers for Sunday mornings and special events
- Team with rector to develop and promote vision of intergenerational and lifelong faith formation in the parish
- Coordinate and track Safe Church Training and CORI checks of volunteers
- Support parents and welcome new families to the parish
- Develop a Church School calendar and flyer for the start of the program year
- Be present on Sunday mornings of program year – time off to be negotiated
- Organize Acolyte schedule and training
- Participate periodically in monthly Sunday afternoon Youth Group meetings
- Oversee registration and maintenance of church school records
- Manage and organize special events of the Sunday School program year, including Christmas Pageant, Easter Egg Hunt, and End-of-Year Picnic
- Use social networking and electronic media to expand and enhance the program, including Constant Contact, Squarespace, and Google Docs
- Communicate regularly with Rector, Vestry, and Parish Administrator
$20/hour for 12 hours/week. Except for Sunday mornings, hours are flexible. Two weeks paid vacation.
Year-round with significant downtime June to August.
No other benefits.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An Associate’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with teaching, classroom management, and/or youth programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills and rapport with children, youth, and families
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and delegate
- Strong communication and networking skills, especially with online and social media
- Working knowledge of computer applications: spreadsheets, documents, email, etc.
- Commitment to Christian faith and teaching. If not an Episcopalian, the candidate will be willing to learn and support our tradition.
- Prefer experience with Godly Play.
- A CORI check and completion of Safe Church training will be required
Send cover letter and resume to:
Parish Administrator via email (email@example.com) or regular mail St. John’s Episcopal Church
PO Box 300230
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130