Staff Associate; Germantown, PA
We are looking for a Staff Associate (Associate Pastor) – 25 hours/ week
The Staff Associate supports the Senior Pastor in leading the congregation and by sharing administrative responsibilities. The Staff Associate has three key focus areas:
- Sharing responsibilities with and supporting the Senior Pastor in leading Sunday Worship. Tasks include making announcements, bible readings, assisting with rituals. In addition, the Staff Associate will preach a sermon once a month from September through June. Estimated time commitment: 3 hours on Sunday, 3 hours during the week, 7 hours for preparing and writing monthly Sermon.
- Support our Education Committee and all who are involved with our Sunday School program and Adult Academy and take an active hands-on role in making our education programs a reason for people to visit and come back. Tasks include recruiting both students and teachers. Coming up with ideas and initiating new programs. Organizing and leading retreats. Estimated time commitment: 5 hours per week
- Sharing responsibility with the Senior Pastor to provide pastoral care including visitation with church members or family/ friends of church member at home or hospital. Weekly follow up with visitors of our Sunday worship. Ongoing outreach to members of the congregation. Estimated time commitment: 9 hours per week
In addition to these three key focus areas, the Staff Associate may be asked to help and support in other areas, at the Senior Pastor’s discretion.
Our ideal person is:
- Someone who shares our passion for Social Justice and Peace as part of our urban ministry and deeply cares for the people who are involved in it.
- Someone who is a self-starter and is able to engage, inspire, lead and support our very diverse congregation through word and action.
- Minimum education: 4 year bachelor degree
- Previous work experience in urban ministry, social or community work.
To apply, please submit your resume/ CV with a short cover letter to email@example.com or via mail to address below, by Friday, June 6.
Founded in 1796, the First United Methodist Church of Germantown (FUMCOG) is a diverse, urban community of faith that seeks to experience and worship God through Jesus’ message of love and inclusion and the mystery of grace expressed through his life. We affirm our commitment by working together, taking risks for social justice and peace in our community, our city, our nation and our world. The crucial balance between being “Christ-centered” (nourished by deep roots in the Scripture and the Gospel) and being committed to social action is one of FUMCOG’s most distinctive characteristics. This balance fosters a strong sense of community within the congregation, a community that takes its faith seriously and is prepared to struggle with difficult issues. FUMCOG is committed to its immediate Philadelphia neighborhood of Germantown by being a community center of arts and culture, education, and social services.