Associate Pastor; Jamaica Plain, MA
Associate Pastor for Children’s Spiritual Formation and Pastoral Care (Part time position – 20 Hours/week)
Hope Central Church is a faith community for believers, questioners and questioning believers. We value on-going spiritual formation for all ages and want to provide thoughtful, meaningful experiences for our children.
Hope Central Church is looking for a person of faith who feels called to minister to our young people in our Spiritual Formation program. This Associate Pastor (AP) will be the leader of our Sunday School program for our children, teachers and volunteers, directing the lead teachers during morning and evening worship. The Associate Pastor will have his/her own portfolio of responsibilities, and will be accountable to the Senior Pastor for purposes of the larger congregational vision and job performance. The Pastoral Team will be collaborative, tending to all the ministries of the congregation.
The Associate Pastor will –
- be familiar with or gain familiarity with the Godly Play approach to children’s spiritual formation,
- be familiar with or gain familiarity with two or three curricula for children’s spiritual development and the ability to adapt for our purposes a plus.
- enjoy putting together age appropriate lesson plans from varied sources
- oversee and inventory Sunday School supplies and Godly Play materials
- recruit, encourage, support and supervise the Sunday School teachers and volunteers
- train and coordinate the parent/volunteers
- help organize new classes and teachers as we grow into that need
- help negotiate and maintain Sunday School spaces, and be physically able to set up flexible space for children’s church
- must be able to lift 30 lbs, move and arrange tables/chairs, and perform other physical activities needed to keep kids safe
- report to and be supported by the Senior Pastor, and be supported by the Education team
- lead the development and implementation of Safe Church policies
- stay abreast of new thinking/curriculum in Christian Education
The Associate Pastor will also provide pastoral care for the congregation and will provide opportunities for the Pastoral Staff to contribute to the Children’s Sunday School. The Associate Pastor will participate in the worship life of the congregation, preaching monthly, celebrating communion, performing baptisms/dedications, marriages, and funerals as appropriate. The Associate Pastor will serve other Teams of the church as appropriate for skill and interest. The AP will maintain ties to the congregation’s denominational bodies, participate in communities of practice, and participate in the congregation’s public ministry as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- have an M.Div. from an accredited seminary
- this is an ordainable position; Hope Central is seeking ordained or ordainable persons, UCC or DOC preferred
- is creative, flexible, and relates well with children
- has experience working with children
- is a strong communicator
- is both self directed and works well as part of a team
- is organized
The AP will work 20 hours per week, will be paid a total compensation package of $35-$37K per year. The first year’s pay will be prorated per date of hire. The AP will receive a total of 3 weeks combined vacation/study paid leave. The AP may arrange with the pastoral team to be away for church related professional meetings.
Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send resume, cover letter and a one-page essay to email@example.com. Deadline for submission is May 1, 2014.
Please include in the one-page essay, the following: 1. Describe any experience you’ve had in the development of a child’s or children’s spiritual formation 2. Describe your spiritual practices 3. Describe why you think you are called to Hope Central Church.
Contact: Carla Imperial, Search Committee Chair
Address: 85 Seaverns Ave., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130