Sunday School Teacher; West Roxbury, MA
Sunday School Teacher:
Help Our Sunday School Program Grow!
We are a small but steadily growing congregation in West Roxbury in search of a motivated youth leader to guide and strengthen our Sunday School Program. Our class currently serves 2-7 young children each week (mostly between 4-11 yrs old), representing diverse backgrounds and varying levels of prior religious instruction.
We seek a caring and resourceful teacher who can introduce our children to key elements of the Anglican faith, including Biblical stories, prayers, and church traditions. Our goal is to provide meaningful and fun religious instruction for our current families that can, in turn, attract even more families to visit and join our congregation. Because of our limited budget ($25 each Sunday), this is a labor of love, ideal for those interested in youth ministry work or perhaps nannies/sitters interested in building up their network of parents/future clients.
This position runs from September 8, 2013 – June 15, 2014. (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
Start Date: Sunday, September 8, 2013
Hours: 9:15 – 11:00 each Sunday morning. Preparation time as determined by lesson.
Sunday School begins at 9:45 am and ends approximately 10:30, when the children go into the service during the Passing of the Peace.
Class: Class is currently held in the Guild Room, with typically 2-6 children between 4-11 years old. A parent volunteer or paid sitter will be on hand to provide assistance as needed.
- Lead weekly lessons based on the Weaving God’s Promises curriculum (provided) or other resources that effectively teach key Bible stories and lessons, prayers, and elements of the Anglican tradition.
- Include arts, crafts, and other activities appropriate to the age and development of the children, as well as time where the children are asked to sit quietly and focus on the teacher’s words.
- Set up the classroom prior to class and clean up after class.
- Lead children to service and assist with the presentation of gifts if needed (children typically present gifts/collections, with ushers/others helping)
- With congregation’s help, organize children’s participation in special services including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter; (option to propose and lead other youth offerings if interested)
- Communicate with parents/grandparents/caregivers as needed.
- Immediately report any concerns to a Vestry member assigned to oversee the Sunday School Program.
- A heart for children and faith in God and Jesus Christ.
- Good communication skills with both children and adults.
- Christian Education training and experience with children.
- Should be cheerful, kind, compassionate, creative, flexible.
- Must pass a background check and provide 3 formal references.
Compensation: $ 25 per Sunday.
Please send resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org