School Chaplain/Teacher; Pomfret, CT
The Rectory School
Start Date: August 2013
The Rectory School, a non-denominational institution, was founded in 1920 when the Reverend and Mrs. Frank H. Bigelow sought to create an individualized learning program for their son John. The benchmark program has developed into a distinct advantage of a Rectory education. Rectory has the capacity to meet the educational needs and aspirations of a wide range of students – from strong traditional learners to those who have inquisitive minds but need more academic support.
The Rectory School’s 138-acre rural campus provides a scenic and secure home to approximately 270 students covering the ages from Pre-K to 9th grade. Rectory is a coeducational institution at all levels. The 5th – 9th grade junior school has approximately 210 students 145 of which are boarding students. These students come to Rectory from all around the United States and from nine different countries. Average class size is 10 and the student teacher ratio is 4:1.
The Chaplaincy position at The Rectory School is a full time position that combines traditional chaplain responsibilities with classroom teaching, coaching, and residential life assignments. The appropriate candidate must reflect the School’s missions and values in all areas of teaching, pastoral care and service programs.
The position will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
1) Plan, organize and lead all chapel services. Services are to reflect the mission and values of the School and include developmentally appropriate media and content.
2) Incorporate faculty and students in chapel planning and participation.
3) Counsel students, school parents and faculty as needed.
4) Provide pastoral care to school community members as needed.
1) Teach three academic classes commensurate with abilities and experience.
2) Participate in faculty meetings and all school events.
3) Assume appropriate duty assignments consistent with full time employee status (e.g. MELP, I-Period, Monday Clubs etc…_)
1) Coach one or two seasons in appropriate sports.
2) Serve on the Spiritual Life Committee.
3) Serve as a dorm parent living in school provided housing.
4) Serve as Coordinator for annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service.
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field is required; a Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Three years or more of working with students in some capacity.
- A demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative management context.
- Passion, professionalism, energy, and commitment necessary to achieve the responsibilities of this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Competitive compensation is commensurate with skills and experience.
Interested parties are asked to submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references along with contact information. (Email submissions preferred.)
Mrs. Diana Richardson
Assistant to the Headmaster
The Rectory School
528 Pomfret Street
P. O. Box 68
Pomfret, CT 06258