Bedford’s Gordon wins race for the 21st District

By Katie Doyle, The Lowell Sun

LOWELL – Bedford Democrat Ken Gordon defeated Republican Walter Zenkin of Burlington in the 21st
Middlesex District state representative race, which includes Bedford and Burlington, winning with 55 percent of the
vote.

The seat was vacated when Rep. Charlie Murphy, D-Burlington, resigned mid-summer.

Gordon, who was endorsed by Murphy in late October, received a total of 11,743 votes. He said he attributed his
success to a “substantive” campaign, in which he said he laid out all of the issues to the voters.

“I didn’t run on advertising, I didn’t run on slogans. I ran on substance,” said Gordon, a member of Bedford’s Zoning
Board of Appeals.

“I told the voters the reasons they could believe in me,” Gordon said. “I’m trained and experienced as an advocate.
That’s what we need for our district, and that’s what we need for the commonwealth.”

Gordon said that going forward, he wants to make sure he protects his district’s schools, seniors and veterans.
“I want to make sure that if there are budget cuts in the next session, I stand up for Burlington, Bedford and
Wilmington,” he said.

Gordon said he appreciated the faith the voters had him and was grateful they recognized the substantive campaign
that he ran.

His opponent, Zenkin, a Burlington selectman, received 45 percent, or 9,521 votes.

Adam Senesi, Zenkin’s campaign manager, congratulated Gordon’s campaign for their victory.

“We wish him the best in his endeavors as the next state representative for this district,” he said.

Senesi thanked all of the voters and volunteers who helped the campaign along the way.

“We made a lot of good friends, and we’re hoping to maintain those relationships,” he said.

Senesi cited Zenkin’s hometown popularity as one of the reasons for his victory. Gordon received 4,781 votes in
Bedford, compared to Zenkin’s 2,275, Senesi said.

“His whole town of Bedford came out really hard for him, and they definitely gave him the momentum to go up all
the way to Beacon Hill,” he said.

Link to the original post: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_21943651/bedfords-gordon-wins-race-21st-district

Tags: ,