Foes optimistic about 8th Worcester race

By Monique Scott, Milford Daily News

MENDON – With the campaign almost over, state Rep. Kevin Kuros and Robert Dubois, his Democratic opponent, are each confident of winning the 8th Worcester District race on Tuesday.

“I’ve been going door-to-door campaigning, attending many events, and I’ve been getting back great feedback,” said Dubois. “I have a positive feeling about this and I think we are going to do very well.”

Kuros, R-Uxbridge, sounded the same optimism.

“The campaign has been going fantastic, as the outpouring of support across the district has exceeded even my expectations,” he said.
But despite their sunny outlook, the candidates have run into rough political weather. The two have traded charges over financial disclosure and political endorsements.

They also have different agendas for the Legislature.

Kuros, who was born in West Mifflin, Pa., and lives in Uxbridge, wants to put a tighter grip on how public-assistance recipients spend their money, preventing the use of welfare money to purchase alcohol, cigarettes, and other non-essential items. Dubois hopes to

improve nutrition education in the schools as a form of preventive health care.Kuros, who worked exclusively in the private sector for 20 years, touts his voting record for ethics reform and increased transparency on Beacon Hill.

He said his experience brings a better perspective to the State House and the voters of Bellingham, Blackstone, Millville, and Uxbridge deserve “nothing less.”

Dubois, with 30 years of experience in local government as a selectman, said voters need someone who is familiar with the area. As a selectman, Dubois facilitated the construction of a power plant in Blackstone, and the additional tax revenue helped the town build the new library on Main Street.

“I lived here all my life and I know the area inside and out,” said Dubois, who is no longer a selectman.

Dubois, a Bellingham native who has lived in Blackstone for 53 years, said being familiar with the area and the people helps him understand the concerns of constituents.

“I feel that I am the best one in the race that knows the problems of the area and knows how to solve them,” he said.

Link to the original post: http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/x303003521/Foes-optimistic-about-8th-Worcester-race

Tags: ,

Other News »