Local legislator makes Super Bowl bet

By Rick SobeyMilford Daily News

BOSTON — The Super Bowl stakes couldn’t be higher for state Sen. Richard Ross, who is betting a lobster dinner and Boston cream pie on a Patriots victory.

If he wins, the Wrentham Republican will get more than home team bragging rights: He’s due to get two dozen Staten Island pastries from New York state Sen. Andrew Lanza, R-Staten Island, who is wagering on the Giants.

“I will relish with delight the pastries he will be serving me after the game, just as I’m sure I will enjoy the lobster dinner and Boston cream pie that he would have enjoyed should the Giants had prevailed,” Ross said.

The New York legislator, of course, disagrees.

“The Giants versus Patriots game this Sunday promises to be one of the best Super Bowl games ever,” Lanza said in a press release. “I’m very much looking forward to enjoying that New England dinner from my good friend from Massachusetts, Sen. Richard J. Ross.”

Ross, who said he is not a gambling man and hasn’t made a bet like this before, said he used to be a fair-weather Patriots fan, but that has changed over the years.

“Before Tom Brady came in, I wasn’t so into it, but now, with the opportunity to go to games every year, I’m aware of how important this team is to the community, state and New England,” Ross said.

Ross will be heading to a friend’s house to hopefully enjoy the franchise’s fourth Super Bowl victory. He said there is something different about this year’s team that will make them prevail over the Giants, whom the Patriots lost to in Super Bowl XLII.

“The Patriots have this particular willpower in the fourth quarter, and I know they will do it,” Ross said. “Tom Brady and the guys are going to rise to the occasion, and I’m going to have a lot of pastries to share.”

Gov. Deval Patrick and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo also placed a friendly wager on Sunday’s Super Bowl XLVI.

Patrick bet 46 Centerville Pies, Legal Sea Foods clam chowder and 46 cases of all-natural chips from Food Should Taste Good. Cuomo wagered 46 cheesecakes from Junior’s in Brooklyn, 46 cases of New York-made yogurt and 46 dozen bagels from Ess-a-Bagel in Manhattan. The loser’s wager will be donated to a charity of the winner’s choosing.

Last month, the mayors of Boston and Denver bet on the Patriots playoff game against the Broncos. After the Patriots won, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino received 40 Colorado steaks from Denver Mayor Michael Hancock. Menino sent the steaks to St. Mary’s Women & Children’s Center in Dorchester.

The Super Bowl stakes couldn’t be higher for state Sen. Richard Ross, who is betting a lobster dinner and Boston cream pie on a Patriots victory.

Link to the story: http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/state/x123147560/Local-legislator-makes-Super-Bowl-bet

Tags: ,