Find Your Archive
SSW Exchange users have an archive directory set up on SSW-FS1, the school’s primary file server. To open your archive in the Outlook:
- In the upper left-hand corner file menu, click on File >> Open >> Outlook Data File
- Type or paste your archive folder name: \\ssw-fs1\exchange\bulogin\ where bulogin is your BU Login name and click OK.
- Find your archive file (usually named archive.pst) in your directory, select it (left-click, once), and click OK.
- Your archive folder will appear below your mailbox in the Outlook mail view.
Use Your Archive
Exchange email accounts have a quota ranging from 100000 KB to 750000 KB. When your account exceeds 80% of that quota, you will receive an automated email.
If you receive this message, you should move some of your files to your exchange Archives folders. This process will help you effectively manage your email quota.
|To find the Archive, you can look in the Mail Folders list. The first folder, with your current email items is called “Mailbox – Lastname, Firstname MI.” The second Folder is “Archive” or “Archive Folders.”|
|If you don’t see the subfolder, click on the + symbol to expand the folders.|
Once you’ve located the correct folder in the archives, you can drag emails either one by one, or by selecting many or all of them and the left-clicking and dragging the e-mails onto the appropriate archive folder (i.e. Inbox [see above]).
SSW IT recommends you activate auto-archiving through Outlook, to help you stay under quota and to manage your e-mail.
To access the AutoArchive Settings:
- Go to the “file” menu and select Tools >>Options
- Click on the Other tab
- Click the AutoArchive button (see below)
To set up the AutoArchive with SSW IT recommendations:
- Match all check boxes to image below (right)
- Enter your archive folder’s path: \\ssw-fs1\exchange\bulogin\ (where bulogin is your BU Login name) into the text box.
- Click Browse,
- Choose your archive folder file (usually archive.pst)