Remote Desktop Connection
Follow these steps to connect to your computer from home, using Windows Remote Desktop connection. Please note that your work computer must be on for you to be able to connect.
Summary of Action Steps
One time steps for setup
- Know your computer name (i.e., ssw-mycomputer.ad.bu.edu)
- Make sure the power settings on your BU computer keep your computer ON and AWAKE (not hibernate)
Steps taken each time to connect
- Connect to the BU network
- Connect to the Computer
In order to use this system, your computer must meet the following minimum standards:
- Windows: 7
- Mac: Mac OS X version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS, and Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.
Doctoral students and research assistants, please note that you must be a computer administrator to connect this way. Please request help to make sure this is the case prior to attempting use of this system.
Get your SSW computer name
All SSW computers use the naming convention ssw-mycomputer.ad.bu.edu, where mycomputer will vary depending on the actual comptuer
- Find the name by opening the “System Properties” by doing one of the following (see below for an example):
- Win 7 Hold down the “Windows” key and press the “Pause/Break” key. OR
- Right-click on “My Computer” and click “Properties”
- Click on the “Computer Name” tab and write down the “Full Computer Name.” Please note the the name of the comptuer will resemble something like “ssw-xyzcomputer.ad.bu.edu.” If the name you find does not appear similar, then please request help.
Install and Configure BU VPN on your home computer
IS&T has complete instructions on Using the VPN for both Windows and Mac.
Connect to your work computer
- The screen resolution and colors will look different, but you will now be controlling your work computer with the mouse and keyboard of your home computer, as if you were at your desk.
Closing the Connection
- There are two ways to finish using the connection.
- LOG OFF (RECOMMENDED): Choose this option to end the session AND log off from your work computer (you will still be able to connect later). Click the “Start” button in the lower-left-hand corner and select “Log Off”. When you return to your work computer, you will be logged off, and to resume using it, just log in.
- CLOSE CONNECTION: Click the “X” in the upper-right-hand corner to close the connection. When you return to your work computer, you will notice that it is locked; just log in as you normally do to resume using it.