Written Assignments: Style and References
Papers written for graduate courses are expected to include references to relevant literature. The School expects reference use to comport with the standards set out in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Sixth edition. Additional resources are listed below:
- The Boston University School of Social Work Style Guide: A Writing Reference for Social Work Students
Online Tutoring for BUSSW Off-Campus Programs Students
Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that is available free of charge to BUSSW Off-Campus Program students. Smarthinking provides tutoring in a variety of subjects, some of which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
The Writing Fellow
(available only from September to May)
The Writing Fellow is available to assist at any step of the writing process—from tips on effective reading and note-taking to the final draft. Assistance includes editing a final draft of a paper, organizing the content, and use of appropriate style and grammar.
Please note that the writing tutor’s office hours are held only when classes are in session at the Charles River (Boston) Campus. In addition, the writing tutor is not available during holidays, semester breaks, or during the summer.
Yvette Anderson: Office Hours: Monday, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.; Tuesday, noon–4 p.m.; Wednesday 11 a.m.–2 p.m. The writing tutor is available to assist off-campus students with their writing assignments by scheduled consultation via the following ways:
- By telephone—617-353-5178 Call during office hours with questions that can be handled by phone, such as simple citations, or to schedule an appointment. Students may also leave messages, and the fellow will get back to you. Telephone consultations will focus on correction/comments and should not take longer than 30 minutes. (Remember that consultations can be scheduled only during office hours on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.)
- By email:email@example.com
- By fax—617-353-5612 If you cannot drop off or email your assignments, you will need to fax them.
- Please email, drop off, or fax your papers two days before your appointment. Always include a copy of the assignment.
PLEASE NOTE: Email your papers and fax or email your assignments two days before you would like to schedule a telephone appointment. Be sure to include a telephone number or fax, as well as a time you can be reached to schedule the telephone consultation.
The Research Tutor
BUSSW provides access to a research tutor for students enrolled in the research courses. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.