Registration FAQs

The registration administrator (Room 114) has a form for this. After you fill out the form, return it to the registration administrator with your rationale. The associate dean for academic affairs will decide if the extra credits are approved and if extra charges are assessed or waived (currently $655 per extra credit)

Students can petition the associate dean for academic affairs to request that a new course be offered. The petition should state the rationale for offering the new course and include the signatures of at least 15 students who have expressed serious interest in taking this course. The associate dean will review the request and consult with the appropriate department chairperson (e.g., clinical practice, policy, etc.) to determine whether the new course will be mounted.

At Boston University you can audit a course by registering for it as you do other courses. Then you will need to apply to audit by getting permission from the instructor on the Course Adjustment Form (available from the registration administrator, Room 114). Normal tuition charges apply, and the course will appear on your transcript with an “AU” grade. You do not receive credit nor will the course count towards your GPA.

Up to 9 credits may be received for courses taken on a non-matriculating basis at another accredited graduate school of social work. Up to 6 credits may be received for courses taken on a matriculating or non-matriculating basis in another accredited graduate program other than social work. Credits which have been applied to a prior degree cannot be transferred. In all cases, a course grade of B or higher must have been received and the course must have been taken within the past five years to be eligible for consideration for transfer credit.

You will need to take a SSW Admissions Transfer Course Application and a course description or a course outline to the associate dean for academic affairs. A copy of your approval letter must be filed with the SSW registration administrator.

After taking the course, the student must submit an official transcript to the SSW registration administrator in order to receive transfer credit. The grade for a transfer course will not be factored in to determine a student’s grade point average.

Although the number of credits per course varies from school to school, a student may receive credit for one SSW course, usually an elective, for each course taken elsewhere at Boston University. Once the course has been approved (follow the procedure in the “taking courses in other schools,” above), you should use the BU Course Adjustment Form to register.

Students may register for classes at the various BUSSW locations (Charles River Campus, NEMA/Chelmsford, SEMA/Cape Cod, or SEMA/Fall River) on a space available basis. Charles River students should contact the SSW registration administrator to check availability and must have written permission from the assistant dean of off-campus programs.

Off-campus students must also have written permission from the assistant dean of off-campus programs to cross register on the Charles River Campus. There is no limit on the number of credits that may be taken when registering within the BUSSW programs.

The cross registration privilege applies to graduate school courses at the following schools of the Boston Area Consortia: Boston College, Hebrew College, Tufts University, and Brandeis University. To take a class at one of these schools, a student must obtain a course description and syllabus for the desired course and have it approved by the associate dean for academic affairs. If approved, a Cross-Registration Form must be completed. These forms are available at the SSW registration administrator’s office, Room 114. Students will be charged tuition at BUSSW. For more information about BU Cross-Registration policies, please visit the University Registrar’s Website.

After completion of an approved course taken at a consortium school, grades will be submitted by the consortium school.

Students may not use the Consortium Schools program in the summer. Also, Boston University students may not satisfy program requirements through the transfer of credit earned in the summer at other institutions located within the greater Boston area, unless the credit involved is for a required course, not offered through Boston University’s Summer Term, or prior approval has been obtained from both the responsible department chair and associate dean for academic affairs.

For the purposes of this policy, “greater Boston area” is defined as that region inside of the Route 128 arc.

Clinical students are required to take at least one advanced clinical methods course. Choose from the following:

CP 762   Advanced Group Work
CP 764   Group Dynamics
CP 785   Intro to Family Therapy
CP 787   Couples Therapy
CP 791   Seminar: Family Therapy
CP 794   CP with Children & Adolescents
CP 795   Cognitive & Behavioral Therapy
CP 798   Advanced CP with Adults
CP 799   Brief Treatment
CP 801   Adolescents in Social Context
CP 802   Crisis Intervention
CP 803   Clin Prac & Trauma
CP 807  CP with Elderly
CP 809  Alcohol & Drug Abuse

Please note that some electives are not offered every year. Be sure to consult the registration packet and the course listings at before you register to assure that the elective(s) you are interested in are being offered.

Directed Study is a course of guided learning in which a faculty member provides an opportunity for learning which is jointly structured by the faculty member and student. The student acquires knowledge and skills by studying and working relatively autonomously. The student should plan to invest approximately the same amount of time in a Directed Study course as he/she would in a standard course. A Directed Study Agreement Form must be obtained from the registration administrator and completed by both the student and the faculty member. The registration administrator uses this form to assign a unique course number. Students may do no more than one Directed Study at one time and no more than two during their master’s degree program.

Check the website (choose “Registration and Classes”) regularly to see if anyone drops out of the class or section you want. Alternately you can request of the department chair of the class you are interested in to be “Added” to the class. To do this, present to the department chair a completed “Course Adjustment Form.” Do not make this request to the instructor of the class. The department chair will make the decision and will let you know.