What kind of funding can doctoral students plan on receiving?

The School of Social Work provides full tuition coverage and a competitive stipend for five years of student enrollment.

How is the program interdisciplinary?

While the formal link is with the Department of Sociology, except for required courses, students may also link with other social science departments to create a program that fits their specific scholarly interests.

Do you offer a part-time program?

There is no formal part-time program. We do, however, accept students who choose to continue other full-time commitments and who complete the PhD program at a slower pace. We do not recommend this, however. Students who are able to engage in the program full time and participate in all the associated advantages (research opportunities, colloquia, etc.) tend to have better success in completing the program in a timely manner.

Do you offer a distance learning or an online program?

No we do not. However, we have had students who lived in the Northeast (Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island) as well as Western Massachusetts who were able to enroll in the program without moving to Boston.

I have a graduate degree but it is not an MSW—am I eligible to apply?

Admission is open to those who hold a Master of Social Work degree or who hold a master’s degree from an allied discipline or profession and who have professional experience related to the objectives of social work.

I took the GRE several years ago. Do I need to take it again?

GRE scores are good for five years. If you took the test more than five years ago, you will need to take them again. We also accept the MAT.

How do I apply?

Please see the admissions page for specific information regarding admissions. Applicants are required to fill out the application from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. Please do not use the MSW application.

When is the deadline?

The application deadline is January 15. Applicants will receive a decision within a month.

What financial aid opportunities are available?

Financial aid information is available through GRS.

Please feel free to contact us with additional questions.