What are the requirements for admission?

Interested candidates must have a 3.0 average or better and h3 recommendations. Applicants must have at least three years’ experience in education or a related field and must complete their MSW before beginning their dissertation.

How long does the program take?

The MSW/EdM program usually takes three years. The MSW/EdD program is contingent on completion of a dissertation. Coursework takes about three years.

Will both social work field placements be in schools?

No. During the first year, students are placed in other areas of social work in order to get a broader view of the field.

Can I get certified to teach at the same time I work on my EdM?

Yes. Students may pursue certification. However, there are additional requirements and the program will take longer to complete.

Do I have to do a practicum (field placement) in education and in social work?

The School of Education requires a field placement only for students who are seeking licensure. However, it is recommended for all students. The School of Social Work requires four semesters of field education for all students.

Can I participate in the dual degree program in any area of education?

No. The program is offered only in Special Education.

Are there special scholarships for dual degree students?

No, but every effort is made to help students manage the financial obligations.

Can I take any education course?

With approval of the student’s advisor almost all education courses are open to dual-degree students in fulfillment of their education degree.

Do I need a dual degree to be a school social worker?

No. Many people work in schools with an MSW only.

In what types of employment settings should I expect to work after graduation?

Graduates are teaching, working as therapists with special needs students, doing a variety of jobs in residential schools, and providing child and family services in public schools and private agencies. They are also developing programs, doing innovative teaching, and engaged in service work in large organizations such as the United Way and the YWCA.

Can I take more than the minimum 83 credits required for the program?

Yes. Many students opt to take the maximum number of courses covered by their tuition.

Who can I discuss the program with?

Both Schools have Program Directors [new link] who are happy to talk with interested students and help them design an appropriate program plan.