Can I find a job if I concentrate in macro social work practice?

Yes, macro alumni work in a wide variety of positions, including: program developers and directors, health and welfare planners, community organizers for local action groups, consultants and policy analysts for state and federal agencies, legislative advocates, organizational development specialists, health educators, youth workers, program evaluators, and human services managers and supervisors.

What kinds of field placements are available for macro concentrators?

The school has strong linkages with a wide range of field agencies. Typically, there are more agencies seeking macro interns than available students to fill all the positions, so macro concentrators are able to choose from multiple options. A member of the Field Education Department specializes exclusively in arranging macro field placements and also conducts a field seminar for first-year macro students. Internships include grassroots community-based organizations, mid-sized nonprofits, large state agencies, healthcare settings, statewide coalitions, schools, public health agencies, the state legislature, and policy reform organizations. Macro concentrators have the option to work through the Field Education Department to create their own second-year field placements.

What kind of license am I eligible to obtain if I am a macro concentrator?

Macro concentrators are eligible to sit for the LCSW exam. Since macro practice does not focus on individuals, families, and therapeutic groups, LICSW supervision is not required for macro field internships. Macro practice is not geared to third-party reimbursement, and an LICSW is not necessary for this level of social work.

Can a macro concentrator participate in one of the dual degree programs?

Yes, macro concentrators are enrolled in all three of the current dual degree programs. The dual degree in Public Health is especially popular with macro concentrators.